Delhi gang-rape: Cop injured in protests at India Gate critical
New Delhi: Delhi Police constable Subhash Tomar, who was critically injured in the violence at India Gate on Sunday, is battling for his life at the Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Hospital here.
Apart from the police personnel, several other protesters also sustained injuries when the police baton charged and directed water cannons at the demonstrators to disperse them during the protest against the brutal gang-rape of a medical student on a moving bus a week ago.
"He (Tomar) is critical. He sank thrice, but was revived by doctors. He is now on ventilator," said Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Dharmendra Kumar.
According to television reports, Tomar lost his consciousness after suffering injuries during stone-pelting, but doctors at the RML hospital said Tomar apparently had a cardiac arrest.
Meanwhile, the irate protestors today gathered at the Jantar Mantar here after the lockdown at India Gate.
Prohibitory orders that were imposed under Section 144 yesterday remains. The media personnel have been asked to vacate the India Gate here, where the situation had become tensed last evening with the police using water cannons to disperse the angry protestors.
All the nine metro stations in the vicinity of India Gate have also been closed until further orders to ensure crowds of people do not attempt to reach the protesting venue.
The condition of the 23-year-old girl, who is being treated at the Safdarjung Hospital here, continues to be critical.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla