Delhi gang-rape: Cop injured in protests at India Gate critical
New Delhi: Delhi Police constable Subhash Tomar, who was critically injured in the violence at India Gate on Sunday, is battling for his life at the Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Hospital here.
Apart from the police personnel, several other protesters also sustained injuries when the police baton charged and directed water cannons at the demonstrators to disperse them during the protest against the brutal gang-rape of a medical student on a moving bus a week ago.
"He (Tomar) is critical. He sank thrice, but was revived by doctors. He is now on ventilator," said Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Dharmendra Kumar.
According to television reports, Tomar lost his consciousness after suffering injuries during stone-pelting, but doctors at the RML hospital said Tomar apparently had a cardiac arrest.
Meanwhile, the irate protestors today gathered at the Jantar Mantar here after the lockdown at India Gate.
Prohibitory orders that were imposed under Section 144 yesterday remains. The media personnel have been asked to vacate the India Gate here, where the situation had become tensed last evening with the police using water cannons to disperse the angry protestors.
All the nine metro stations in the vicinity of India Gate have also been closed until further orders to ensure crowds of people do not attempt to reach the protesting venue.
The condition of the 23-year-old girl, who is being treated at the Safdarjung Hospital here, continues to be critical.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!