Delhi gang-rape: Court disallows questions based on TV interview
New Delhi: A fast-track court on Wednesday said it cannot allow the accused to cross-examine the friend of the December 16 gang-rape victim regarding the contents of an interview given by him to a news channel.
"The questions qua the contents of the CD of an interview given by the complainant (victim`s male friend) cannot be allowed to be asked as it indirectly would allow the use of the video CD for the purpose of cross-examination under the Indian Evidence Act," Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna said.
The judge made the observations as the counsel for accused Mukesh asked the 28-year-old software engineer, the lone eye witness to the incident, if it was correct that he had stated in his interview to a news channel that when the SDM was to record the statement of the victim, he was approached by police to remain present.
Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan opposed the counsel`s attempt to confront the youth with the contents of the interview.
Disallowing the question, the court said the use of the interview as an evidence has been stayed by the apex court.
The judge later deferred the cross-examination of the youth till May 8 considering that his initial questioning was disallowed in view of the March 22 order of the Supreme Court and the matter was to come up before apex court, day after tomorrow.
The judge also said that the defence counsel cannot check the "veracity and credibility" of the interview at this stage even as its use as evidence was earlier allowed by the Delhi High Court and then stayed by the Supreme Court.
The victim`s friend, had in an interview in January this year, had criticised the Delhi Police for its tardy response and bemoaned public apathy after both of them were assaulted and thrown out of the moving bus with injuries after she was gangraped by six men.
The victim`s friend had said that they had been lured
into boarding the private bus on December 16 night.
The 23-year-old paramedic student was gangraped and brutally assaulted when the two boarded a bus after watching a movie in a cinema hall on December 16.
Meanwhile, before the beginning of the proceedings, the court directed two foreign journalists to leave the courtroom after the prosecutor said, "I want to be doubly sure that there is no foreign media in the courtroom as only Indian media is allowed inside."
After the day`s proceedings, the complainant, while talking to the media outside the courtroom, said "I am fine now".
To another question, he said he visits the victim`s family some time.
Regarding his letter to the government for a job, he said, "Initially, I had got a lot of offers for help but nobody gave me a job."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'