Delhi gang-rape: Doctors remove victim`s intestines
New Delhi: The intestines of the 23-year-old woman who was gang-raped and brutally assaulted in Delhi by a group of men Sunday night have been removed in a two-hour surgery, doctors said Wednesday, adding that the victim is "still critical".
Describing it as "one of the most tragic incidents" that they had ever seen, the doctors said the victim`s badly damaged intestines were susceptible to gangrene and had to be removed.
The victim`s first intestinal surgery was done Monday after she was admitted to the hospital, said a hospital authority.
"She is under close monitoring and all emergency procedures have been performed," BD Athani, medical superintendent at Safdarjung Hospital told reporters.
The doctor said the woman was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and was on ventilator.
"The victim`s blood pressure is low. Her pulse rate is 130 while her blood platelet levels are 48,000," said doctors. The normal platelet count in a healthy individual is between 150,000 and 450,000.
According to one of doctors treating the girl, she is unstable and her condition is deteriorating.
"She is still on life support system in an unconscious state. There is no movement in her body. She regained consciousness early Wednesday morning but within minutes she went in a coma," said the doctor.
Her condition had "slightly deteriorated" Tuesday, according to doctors.
The brutal rape and torture occurred Sunday night when the girl and her male friend boarded a private bus at Munirka in south Delhi to go to Dwarka in west Delhi after watching a movie.
The woman was beaten up and raped by around six men inside the moving bus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement