Delhi gang-rape: HC dismisses plea for quashing FIR
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday dismissed a plea of two accused in the December 16 gang-rape case that the FIR and subsequent proceedings against them be quashed.
Justice Pratibha Rani also upheld the order of a special court by which the plea of accused Mukesh and Akshay Singh against day-to-day trial was rejected.
In their petition, they had sought quashing of FIR on the ground that police manipulated it as the original complaint was silent about the names of the accused persons.
The special fast track court`s March 28 order dismissing their plea for conducting proceedings on alternate days instead of on day-to-day basis was also challenged by them.
They had wanted proceedings to be held on alternate days so that their counsel can seek instructions on cross-examining witnesses.
The trial court had dismissed their plea, saying "such pleas are made to delay the proceedings."
Initially, five adult accused in the case were facing trial for allegedly gang-raping and assaulting a 23-year-old girl in a moving bus here on the night of December 16, 2012.
With the proceedings against the main accused Ram Singh having abated after his death on March 11, the remaining four adult accused Mukesh, Vinay, Akshay and Pawan Gupta are facing trial in the case for rape and murder of the girl.
The sixth accused in the case is a juvenile, who is facing proceedings before the Juvenile Justice Board.
The girl had died on December 29, 2012 in a Singapore hospital due to the grievous injuries she suffered when she was brutally assaulted by the six accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends