Delhi gang-rape: Judge breaks pen`s nib after giving death
New Delhi: Immediately after signing the order of death sentence to the four convicts in the December 16 gang-rape and murder case, the judge broke the nib of the pen, in keeping with a tradition.
"It is the first death sentence awarded by Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna after he took over as the judge of the fast track court constituted to try cases of sexual offences against women," court sources said.
The judge, who took less than three minutes to deliver the quantum of sentence, broke the nib of the pen after signing the 20-page order and retired to his chamber.
Breaking the nib of the pen which is used to sign the order delivering death sentence has been a tradition since the days of British governance in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family