Delhi gang-rape: Judge breaks pen`s nib after giving death
New Delhi: Immediately after signing the order of death sentence to the four convicts in the December 16 gang-rape and murder case, the judge broke the nib of the pen, in keeping with a tradition.
"It is the first death sentence awarded by Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna after he took over as the judge of the fast track court constituted to try cases of sexual offences against women," court sources said.
The judge, who took less than three minutes to deliver the quantum of sentence, broke the nib of the pen after signing the 20-page order and retired to his chamber.
Breaking the nib of the pen which is used to sign the order delivering death sentence has been a tradition since the days of British governance in India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know