Delhi gang-rape: Lalu Yadav favours death sentence for rapists
Patna: Joining the growing clamour to award death penalty to perpetrators of rape, RJD President Lalu Prasad Yadav on Monday said his party would advocate for capital punishment for rapists in the Delhi gang rape case in the next Parliament session.
"Minor punishment of seven years jail term will not be adequate for such an act ... Existing laws need to be amended to end the menace," Yadav said before setting out for his `Parivartan yatra` against the alleged `misrule` of the Nitish Kumar government.
Lalu said RJD would advocate for awarding death sentence to rapists when the issue of gang rape of the 23-year-old para-medic in a moving bus in New Delhi comes up for discussion in Parliament.
Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) has four members in Lok Sabha, including Prasad and two in Rajya Sabha.
He said the public outrage over the Delhi gangrape was justified as the victim was brutally assaulted and is battling for life.
In view of growing incidents of rape in Bihar and Karnataka, Yadav said stringent anti-rape laws were needed to prevent such barbaric crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey