Delhi gang-rape: Lalu Yadav favours death sentence for rapists
Patna: Joining the growing clamour to award death penalty to perpetrators of rape, RJD President Lalu Prasad Yadav on Monday said his party would advocate for capital punishment for rapists in the Delhi gang rape case in the next Parliament session.
"Minor punishment of seven years jail term will not be adequate for such an act ... Existing laws need to be amended to end the menace," Yadav said before setting out for his `Parivartan yatra` against the alleged `misrule` of the Nitish Kumar government.
Lalu said RJD would advocate for awarding death sentence to rapists when the issue of gang rape of the 23-year-old para-medic in a moving bus in New Delhi comes up for discussion in Parliament.
Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) has four members in Lok Sabha, including Prasad and two in Rajya Sabha.
He said the public outrage over the Delhi gangrape was justified as the victim was brutally assaulted and is battling for life.
In view of growing incidents of rape in Bihar and Karnataka, Yadav said stringent anti-rape laws were needed to prevent such barbaric crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars