Delhi gang-rape: Nature of injury to victim was fatal in nature, says doctor
New Delhi: A doctor on Monday told a Special court here that the injury inflicted upon the December 16 gang-rape victim by the six accused persons, "can cause death in natural course".
"I had given my opinion. The opinion was sought as to the nature of injury, it can cause death in natural course," the doctor told Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna.
The doctor, who was in-charge of the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) where the victim was undergoing treatment for ten days, however, told the court that he has not seen the weapon of the offence, with which the victim was allegedly assaulted.
The doctor recorded his statement in the court, while he was cross-examined by the accused Mukesh counsel, who asked him about the injuries suffered by the victim and whether they were sufficient to cause her death in ordinary course of nature.
To a question whether it was possible to cause similar injuries if the length and circumference of the rod was different, he said, "If there is drastic change in the length and circumference of the rod, then, of course, the injuries would have been different...."
The prosecution opposed the question saying that as the doctor has not seen the weapon before giving his opinion so it would not be appropriate to ask him in detail as it was just an opinion.
It said that it was clear from the evidence that as the rod was hook type on one side, therefore it had allegedly pulled out the internal organs after it was inserted in.
Mukesh`s counsel also said that the victim, when she was
rushed to hospital, was not fit to record her statement but due to police pressure he allowed the investigating agency to record the statement.
"It is wrong to suggest that I and the other doctor had given the fitness of the victim at the asking of the investigating officer or that she was not fit to give her statement even by non verbal gesture or that she was not conscious, cooperative, meaningfully communicative.
"It is wrong to suggest that victim was even not fit to give her statement on December 21, 2012," the doctor said.
Besides the ICU incharge, a surgeon from the Safdarjung hospital, who had done surgery on the 23-year-old girl, has also deposed in a court today.
Both the doctors, however, will be cross-examined by the counsel for the three other accused tomorrow.
With the proceedings against the main accused Ram Singh having abated after his death on March 11, the remaining four adult accused Mukesh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Singh and Pawan Gupta are facing trial in the case for rape and murder of the girl.
The sixth is a juvenile, so he is facing proceedings before the Juvenile Justice Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in