Delhi gang-rape: NCW welcomes Jayalalithaa`s view
New Delhi: National Commission for Women (NCW) on Tuesday welcomed Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s views that laws dealing with crime against women should be amended, saying they would help contain such violations.
"It is a very good suggestion (rpt) suggestion. She has asked for harsher punishment for the accused and has also said that steps will be taken to amend the Goondas Act.
"She has also asked for setting up of more fast-track courts to deal with such crimes. If all these measures are followed there will certainly be a decrease in the crime rate," NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma told PTI.
Pitching in for harsher punishment for rape, Jayalalithaa earlier in the day said her government would request the Centre to make necessary changes in the law to provide death penalty and chemical castration to those involved in such crimes.
Expressing grief over the death of the 23-year-old Delhi gangrape victim, Jayalalithaa announced a 13-point action plan to ensure women`s safety and prevent incidents of sexual harassment.
When asked what steps NCW was taking in this regard, Sharma said that they had already sent their recommendations to the government.
"We have sent our recommendations three months before," Sharma said, adding that it takes time to make changes in the law.
"Law is not something which can be changed in one or two days. It needs to be discussed in Parliament," Sharma said.
The NCW chief, however, said it was more important to implement the laws than enacting them.
"You cannot just get away with framing of laws, it is more important to implement those laws.
"There are demands for chemical castration. People have also been asking for capital punishment. But that is for the Parliament to decide. My only concern is that a serious law should be enacted which would act as a deterrent so that such crimes are not repeated," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan