Delhi gang-rape: PM`s statement does not inspire confidence, says BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s statement promising appropriate steps to prevent heinous crimes against women does not inspire confidence and suggested that the government should call a special Parliament session and an all-party meeting.
"The Prime Minister`s statement does not inspire any confidence in the people. It has come too late and is too little. People want tougher laws and time-bound action. The government has failed to gauge the mood of the people," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
The main Opposition reiterated its demand for a special session of Parliament to pass stringent laws to punish those who commit crimes against women.
"Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj has suggested a way forward to the government by saying the Prime Minister should call an all-party meeting and hold a special session. The session can be of just five days," Javadekar told reporters here.
He wondered why the positive and constructive suggestions from the opposition were not being heeded to by Singh.
BJP had earlier condemned the police action against the youths who protested at Rajpath and India Gate. Swaraj had then talked to the Prime Minister and discussed the issue with Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde.
BJP Parliamentary Party Chief LK Advani had also talked to Shinde and said senior police officials should talk to the protesters instead of indulging in lathi-charge and using tear gas.
"The Home Minister saying we cannot talk to the protesters is ridiculous. They are university students and not Maoists. He should be tough against criminals and not students. Had the government talked to the protesters the tensions would have been reduced," Javadekar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future