Delhi gang-rape: Police to file charge sheet within a week
New Delhi: Speeding up legal proceedings in the gang-rape case that has sparked national outrage, Delhi Police on Monday said they will file a charge sheet against the six accused within a week.
"We will file the chargesheet within a week," a senior police official said.
Sources said Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar conveyed this at a meeting convened by Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna with women`s groups here.
The move comes against the backdrop of clamour for speedy trial in the case of 23-year-old women, who was brutally sexually assaulted and tortured allegedly by the six men in a moving bus on December 16 night. Her male friend was also beaten up while trying to protect her.
The incident rocked the conscience of the nation and triggered violent protests in the capital.
Government had already announced that they will request Delhi High Court to set up fast track court for this case.
Home Minister Sushikumar Shinde had said that police will seek day-to-day hearing of the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Elderly woman found murdered in Delhi
- IAF's mising AN-32 transporter: Satellites provide pointers, but no signs of aircraft yet
- Harsimrat writes to RS chairman for action on Jairam, Renuka
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs