Delhi gang-rape: Police to file charge sheet within a week
New Delhi: Speeding up legal proceedings in the gang-rape case that has sparked national outrage, Delhi Police on Monday said they will file a charge sheet against the six accused within a week.
"We will file the chargesheet within a week," a senior police official said.
Sources said Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar conveyed this at a meeting convened by Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna with women`s groups here.
The move comes against the backdrop of clamour for speedy trial in the case of 23-year-old women, who was brutally sexually assaulted and tortured allegedly by the six men in a moving bus on December 16 night. Her male friend was also beaten up while trying to protect her.
The incident rocked the conscience of the nation and triggered violent protests in the capital.
Government had already announced that they will request Delhi High Court to set up fast track court for this case.
Home Minister Sushikumar Shinde had said that police will seek day-to-day hearing of the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre