Delhi gang-rape: Police to file charge sheet within a week
New Delhi: Speeding up legal proceedings in the gang-rape case that has sparked national outrage, Delhi Police on Monday said they will file a charge sheet against the six accused within a week.
"We will file the chargesheet within a week," a senior police official said.
Sources said Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar conveyed this at a meeting convened by Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna with women`s groups here.
The move comes against the backdrop of clamour for speedy trial in the case of 23-year-old women, who was brutally sexually assaulted and tortured allegedly by the six men in a moving bus on December 16 night. Her male friend was also beaten up while trying to protect her.
The incident rocked the conscience of the nation and triggered violent protests in the capital.
Government had already announced that they will request Delhi High Court to set up fast track court for this case.
Home Minister Sushikumar Shinde had said that police will seek day-to-day hearing of the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents