Delhi gang-rape: Police to file charge sheet within a week
New Delhi: Speeding up legal proceedings in the gang-rape case that has sparked national outrage, Delhi Police on Monday said they will file a charge sheet against the six accused within a week.
"We will file the chargesheet within a week," a senior police official said.
Sources said Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar conveyed this at a meeting convened by Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna with women`s groups here.
The move comes against the backdrop of clamour for speedy trial in the case of 23-year-old women, who was brutally sexually assaulted and tortured allegedly by the six men in a moving bus on December 16 night. Her male friend was also beaten up while trying to protect her.
The incident rocked the conscience of the nation and triggered violent protests in the capital.
Government had already announced that they will request Delhi High Court to set up fast track court for this case.
Home Minister Sushikumar Shinde had said that police will seek day-to-day hearing of the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?