Delhi gang-rape: Production warrants issued against convicts, hearing on Tuesday
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday issued production warrants against four death row convicts in December 16 gang-rape case.
The single-member bench of the High Court led by Justice Reva Khetrapa passed the order after hearing the trial court`s reference for confirmation of the death penalty awarded by it to four men convicted in the December 16 gang-rape case.
The bench also posted the matter for hearing on Tuesday.
On September 13, while awarding capital punishment to Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28), Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20), Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna had referred the case to the high court for confirmation of the sentence.
The trial court has to refer each death penalty case to the high court for confirmation of the punishment.
The four convicts were awarded death sentence in the brutal gang-rape case by the Sessions Court, which said it fell in the ``rarest of rare`` category as the crime was committed against a 23-year-old girl in a "beastly" and "hair-raising" manner.
"Accordingly, the convicts be hanged by neck till they are dead," the trial court had said after noting that the inhuman and ghastly acts of the convicts shocked the collective conscience of the nation and deserves exemplary punishment.
Key accused Ram Singh (34) was found dead in the cell in Tihar Jail in March and proceedings against him were abated.
The juvenile accused was on August 31 convicted and sentenced to a maximum of three years in a reformation home.
On the night of December 16, last year, the paramedic student was gang-raped in a moving bus in south Delhi after the convicts luring her and her 28-year-old male friend, who was also assaulted, on board the vehicle, which was later found to be plying illegally on the national capital`s roads.
The victim`s friend, a software engineer, suffered fractures in his limbs. The girl succumbed to her injuries on December 29, 2012 in a Singapore hospital.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what