Delhi gang-rape: Production warrants issued against convicts, hearing on Tuesday
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday issued production warrants against four death row convicts in December 16 gang-rape case.
The single-member bench of the High Court led by Justice Reva Khetrapa passed the order after hearing the trial court`s reference for confirmation of the death penalty awarded by it to four men convicted in the December 16 gang-rape case.
The bench also posted the matter for hearing on Tuesday.
On September 13, while awarding capital punishment to Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28), Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20), Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna had referred the case to the high court for confirmation of the sentence.
The trial court has to refer each death penalty case to the high court for confirmation of the punishment.
The four convicts were awarded death sentence in the brutal gang-rape case by the Sessions Court, which said it fell in the ``rarest of rare`` category as the crime was committed against a 23-year-old girl in a "beastly" and "hair-raising" manner.
"Accordingly, the convicts be hanged by neck till they are dead," the trial court had said after noting that the inhuman and ghastly acts of the convicts shocked the collective conscience of the nation and deserves exemplary punishment.
Key accused Ram Singh (34) was found dead in the cell in Tihar Jail in March and proceedings against him were abated.
The juvenile accused was on August 31 convicted and sentenced to a maximum of three years in a reformation home.
On the night of December 16, last year, the paramedic student was gang-raped in a moving bus in south Delhi after the convicts luring her and her 28-year-old male friend, who was also assaulted, on board the vehicle, which was later found to be plying illegally on the national capital`s roads.
The victim`s friend, a software engineer, suffered fractures in his limbs. The girl succumbed to her injuries on December 29, 2012 in a Singapore hospital.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- After Latur, now 'water train' for drought-hit Bundelkhand
- India's services sector growth softens in April
- Azam Khan dares Yogi Adityanath: `Prove your masculinity by getting married`
- Nihal Batla, face of Progeria awareness campaign in India, dies at 15
- BJP slams UP CM Akhilesh Yadav over hunger death in Bundelkhand