Delhi gang-rape protests: Chaos outside Metro stations
New Delhi: Chaos ruled outside Metro stations in Central Delhi on Monday as hundreds of people reached the stations unaware that they have been closed due to continuing protests at India Gate against the gang-rape of a young girl.
Nine stations, including the busiest Rajiv Chowk, was closed from early morning as people came only to be welcomed by boards that entry or exit to the stations will not be allowed today as per instructions from Delhi Police.
Rajiv Chowk sees the maximum footfall of over 5 lakh a day and shutting down of this station has caused much problems for people who were agitated and looked helpless.
Pragati Maidan, Mandi House, Barakhamba Road, Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhawan, Race Course and Khan Market will remain closed till further orders, according to an advisory issued late last night by the Delhi Metro.
Eight stations, except Rajiv Chowk, remained closed yesterday as well but there was not much impact as it was a Sunday.
Though inter-change was allowed at Rajiv Chowk and Central Secretariat stations, it was not of much help to the people as stations nearby were also closed.
Radhika, a software professional who works at Parliament Street, said she was unaware that all stations near her office were closed today. She was shocked when the train did not stop at three stations continuously and heaved a sigh of relief when it stopped at Rajiv Chowk.
"But I was not allowed to exit from the station. I am stuck inside now. I don`t know how to reach my office though it is less than a km from here," she said.
She was not alone, there were several hundreds of passengers who got stranded at the stations.
The stations will remain closed till further orders due to protests at India Gate. The stations have been closed to prevent people from reaching India Gate and other protest sites.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof