Delhi gang-rape protests: Kejriwal urges people to reach India Gate
New Delhi: Joining the protesters at India Gate, Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal on Sunday asked the government to enact a law to punish rapist within two minths.
With prohibitory orders imposed in parts of the city centre following unending protests in the wake of a 23-year-old woman`s rape, Kejriwal defied the Section 144 and asked the people to come to India Gate and join the protests.
Expressing his views on Twitter, Kejriwal wrote, “We want justice. We want an ordinance or special session of Parliament.”
“Enact a law to punish rapists within 2 months. 1.26 lakh rape cases are pending in various courts,” Kejriwla further tweeted.
He also demanded setting up of many fast track courts.
“This country belongs to us "WE, THE PEOPLE". Politicians better realise it, the AAP leader further tweeted.
Earlier speaking to reporters Kejriwal said, "This is illegitimate. How can they impose section 144?"
"If the government would have shown such resolve to deal with rapists, the situation would have been different. It seems the government is waging war against its own people."
Prohibitory orders banning the assembly of five or more people have been imposed around parliament and Rashtrapati Bhawan including India Gate area, Rajpath and Janpath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!