Delhi gang-rape protests: Kejriwal urges people to reach India Gate
New Delhi: Joining the protesters at India Gate, Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal on Sunday asked the government to enact a law to punish rapist within two minths.
With prohibitory orders imposed in parts of the city centre following unending protests in the wake of a 23-year-old woman`s rape, Kejriwal defied the Section 144 and asked the people to come to India Gate and join the protests.
Expressing his views on Twitter, Kejriwal wrote, “We want justice. We want an ordinance or special session of Parliament.”
“Enact a law to punish rapists within 2 months. 1.26 lakh rape cases are pending in various courts,” Kejriwla further tweeted.
He also demanded setting up of many fast track courts.
“This country belongs to us "WE, THE PEOPLE". Politicians better realise it, the AAP leader further tweeted.
Earlier speaking to reporters Kejriwal said, "This is illegitimate. How can they impose section 144?"
"If the government would have shown such resolve to deal with rapists, the situation would have been different. It seems the government is waging war against its own people."
Prohibitory orders banning the assembly of five or more people have been imposed around parliament and Rashtrapati Bhawan including India Gate area, Rajpath and Janpath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder