Delhi gang-rape: Ramdev, ex-Army chief lead protest at Jantar Mantar
New Delhi: Protesters led by yoga guru Ramdev and former Army chief VK Singh on Sunday clashed with police at Jantar Mantar here this afternoon when they were prevented from marching towards India Gate, the epicentre of protests against gangrape of a young girl last Sunday.
After a brief speech at Jantar Mantar, Ramdev along with Singh and others started marching towards India Gate but they were stopped by police.
As soon as Ramdev and Singh got down from the dais, police cordoned off the area and the protesters sat at the spot.
However, supporters started marching towards India Gate and tried to break the barricades following which police resorted to use of force.
Two persons suffered injuries in the incident.
"Government should set up fast track courts and punish all the rapists. We want death penalty for all the accused," Ramdev said.
At Safdurjung Hospital, where the gangrape victim is battling for life, BJP staged a protest demanding justice for her.
Dr BK Athani, Medical Superintendent of Safdurjung Hospital, appealed to protesters not to stage demonstrations near the hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?