Delhi gang-rape: Ramdev, ex-Army chief lead protest at Jantar Mantar
New Delhi: Protesters led by yoga guru Ramdev and former Army chief VK Singh on Sunday clashed with police at Jantar Mantar here this afternoon when they were prevented from marching towards India Gate, the epicentre of protests against gangrape of a young girl last Sunday.
After a brief speech at Jantar Mantar, Ramdev along with Singh and others started marching towards India Gate but they were stopped by police.
As soon as Ramdev and Singh got down from the dais, police cordoned off the area and the protesters sat at the spot.
However, supporters started marching towards India Gate and tried to break the barricades following which police resorted to use of force.
Two persons suffered injuries in the incident.
"Government should set up fast track courts and punish all the rapists. We want death penalty for all the accused," Ramdev said.
At Safdurjung Hospital, where the gangrape victim is battling for life, BJP staged a protest demanding justice for her.
Dr BK Athani, Medical Superintendent of Safdurjung Hospital, appealed to protesters not to stage demonstrations near the hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Rio Olympics: Shooter Vijay Singh expecting at least 4 medals from shooting squad
- One shot dead in Pakistan over alleged desecration of Quran
- Govt fixes December 31 deadline for retro tax settlement scheme
- United Nation's Global Citizen Festival: Priyanka Chopra talks about humanity and youth- READ
- PM Modi can get me killed; 'daman chakra' unleashed against AAP: Kejriwal