Delhi gang-rape: Ramdev, ex-Army chief lead protest at Jantar Mantar
New Delhi: Protesters led by yoga guru Ramdev and former Army chief VK Singh on Sunday clashed with police at Jantar Mantar here this afternoon when they were prevented from marching towards India Gate, the epicentre of protests against gangrape of a young girl last Sunday.
After a brief speech at Jantar Mantar, Ramdev along with Singh and others started marching towards India Gate but they were stopped by police.
As soon as Ramdev and Singh got down from the dais, police cordoned off the area and the protesters sat at the spot.
However, supporters started marching towards India Gate and tried to break the barricades following which police resorted to use of force.
Two persons suffered injuries in the incident.
"Government should set up fast track courts and punish all the rapists. We want death penalty for all the accused," Ramdev said.
At Safdurjung Hospital, where the gangrape victim is battling for life, BJP staged a protest demanding justice for her.
Dr BK Athani, Medical Superintendent of Safdurjung Hospital, appealed to protesters not to stage demonstrations near the hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Tesla unveils 100 kWh battery for Model S, Model X cars
- Oh no! After Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap leaves Pullela Gopichand's academy in Hyderabad
- Samsung, Tencent surge in race to become Asia's most valuable firm
- Kangana Ranaut turns GORGEOUS showstopper for Tarun Tahiliani at Lakme Fashion Week—Pics inside!
- This Russian cat adopts baby monkey after his mother abandons him – Watch inspirational video!