Delhi gang rape: Tell police to act tough, BJP asks Shinde
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday condemned the alleged gangrape of a student inside a moving bus, and asked Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to direct the Delhi Police to act firmly and ensure that effective steps are undertaken to curb crimes like these.
BJP leader Balbir Punj said the law and order situation in Delhi is not up to the mark.
"And this comes into display through the various acts of crime taking place regularly. Of all the crimes, cases of rape against the women are the most heinous one. It is extremely condemnable," said Punj.
"The Home Minister should take cognisance of this case and order the Delhi Police not to act slow on cases like these and ensure that effective steps are undertaken to curb crimes like these," he added.
Meanwhile, Congress leader and Union Minister Deepa Dasmunshi demanded that the people linked to the crime must be thoroughly investigated and arrested.
"Such incidents against the women are taking place not only in Delhi, but in the entire country. Everybody should raise their voices against cases like these," she added.
A 23-year-old student of medicine in Delhi University has been allegedly raped by five men in a moving bus last night and thrown off the moving vehicle in a semi-naked condition near Mahipalpur flyover.
The victim is at the Safdarjung Hospital in critical condition.
The victim along with a male friend had boarded a whiteline private bus at around 11 pm from Munirka in south Delhi to go to Palam, where she lives.
Police said that around five to seven people in bus started misbehaving with the girl a few minutes after she boarded the bus, which was travelling without other passengers.
The victim`s boyfriend tried to prevent the men from molesting her, but the men beat him up and sexually assaulted the girl.
The accused then threw the girl and her boyfriend out of the bus near Mahipalpur in south Delhi`s Vasant Vihar area.
Her friend, who used to work in a software firm, was escorting her home after watching a film at the Select City Walk mall in Saket.
The police said it was not clear yet whether the five assailants were passengers or bus staff.
No arrests have been made so far; the police have seized two buses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?