Delhi gang-rape trial: Victim’s friend testifies, father demands death for all accused
New Delhi: A fast-track court Tuesday began the trial against the five accused in the Delhi gang-rape case, around 50 days after the 23-year-old woman`s brutal rape, as the father demanded death penalty for the five men and a juvenile accused.
"All the six accused should be hanged," the father said at a press conference here, stressing that he would pursue the case till the end.
The fast-track court of Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna started day-to-day trial in the case after framing charges of murder, gang-rape and kidnapping, among others, under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against the five accused.
The case of the juvenile accused is being heard by the Juvenile Justice Board.
The gang-rape victim`s male friend, a software engineer, who was also attacked along with her on the bus, appeared as a witness in the court on a wheelchair accompanied by his father, police said.
Police Monday had filed a supplementary charge sheet that included the autopsy report of the physiotherapy intern who was gang-raped by the six on Dec 16 last year, in a moving bus. She died Dec 29 in a Singapore hospital.
The other charges framed against the accused are unnatural offence, destruction of evidence, attempt to murder, causing hurt while committing robbery, dacoity with murder, and common intent. The accused had pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The court had earlier restricted media from reporting the proceedings in the case and ordered an in-camera trial.
As the trial began in the court, the father of the young woman addressed a press conference to assert that he would approach the courts to ensure that justice was done.
"I want all six of them to be hanged. We will go to the court and pursue the case till the end," he said, with one of his sons by his side.
He said his daughter should not be addressed as a gang-rape victim. "It hurts me. She should be called the country`s brave daughter," the father said.
He also said he did not have "much knowledge" about the ordinance promulgated on Sunday that awards stricter punishment for sexual crimes against women, including death sentence in rare cases.
"We have received Rs.15 lakh from the Delhi government," he said. "But the money cannot make up for our loss."
He said the law should be amended so that the juvenile attacker could also be hanged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’