Delhi gang-rape victim death: Anna Hazare defends public anger
Ralegan Sidhi: Social activist and anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare on Saturday defended the countrywide public outrage against cases of sexual assault on women after the Delhi gang-rape incident, and said that the government must introduce tough laws to ensure the punishment of the culprits.
Talking to reporters after the demise of 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim at Singapore`s Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Anna said the nation will never forget this horrific incident.
"Such incidents would not have happened if the government had acted earlier and made strict laws. The government should learn a lesson and introduce strict laws. The people who committed the crime should be hanged till death," said Hazare.
"While making laws, the government should not only include politicians but also women activists, women judges and women working in various fields of the society. They should be appointed to make drafts and only then a strict law can be made. I appeal the nation to maintain peace," he said.
Earlier, on December 24, Hazare had written a letter to the Prime Minister and criticised the government for imposing Section 144 to prevent the demonstrations in Delhi, saying that it was a step to throttle the democratic and constitutional right of the people to protest.
He had also held a march at his native village, Ralegan Siddhi in the solidarity of the nationwide protest against the Delhi gang-rape incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read