Delhi gang-rape victim death: Anna Hazare defends public anger
Ralegan Sidhi: Social activist and anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare on Saturday defended the countrywide public outrage against cases of sexual assault on women after the Delhi gang-rape incident, and said that the government must introduce tough laws to ensure the punishment of the culprits.
Talking to reporters after the demise of 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim at Singapore`s Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Anna said the nation will never forget this horrific incident.
"Such incidents would not have happened if the government had acted earlier and made strict laws. The government should learn a lesson and introduce strict laws. The people who committed the crime should be hanged till death," said Hazare.
"While making laws, the government should not only include politicians but also women activists, women judges and women working in various fields of the society. They should be appointed to make drafts and only then a strict law can be made. I appeal the nation to maintain peace," he said.
Earlier, on December 24, Hazare had written a letter to the Prime Minister and criticised the government for imposing Section 144 to prevent the demonstrations in Delhi, saying that it was a step to throttle the democratic and constitutional right of the people to protest.
He had also held a march at his native village, Ralegan Siddhi in the solidarity of the nationwide protest against the Delhi gang-rape incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown