Delhi gang-rape victim death: Anna Hazare defends public anger
Ralegan Sidhi: Social activist and anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare on Saturday defended the countrywide public outrage against cases of sexual assault on women after the Delhi gang-rape incident, and said that the government must introduce tough laws to ensure the punishment of the culprits.
Talking to reporters after the demise of 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim at Singapore`s Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Anna said the nation will never forget this horrific incident.
"Such incidents would not have happened if the government had acted earlier and made strict laws. The government should learn a lesson and introduce strict laws. The people who committed the crime should be hanged till death," said Hazare.
"While making laws, the government should not only include politicians but also women activists, women judges and women working in various fields of the society. They should be appointed to make drafts and only then a strict law can be made. I appeal the nation to maintain peace," he said.
Earlier, on December 24, Hazare had written a letter to the Prime Minister and criticised the government for imposing Section 144 to prevent the demonstrations in Delhi, saying that it was a step to throttle the democratic and constitutional right of the people to protest.
He had also held a march at his native village, Ralegan Siddhi in the solidarity of the nationwide protest against the Delhi gang-rape incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!