Delhi gang-rape victim death: Police urge calm; India Gate closed for public
New Delhi: Fearing large-scale protests following the death of the gang-rape victim, the Delhi Police on Saturday announced that India Gate and its surrounding areas that comprise the capital`s power centre would be out of bounds for the general public.
"Entire Central Vista including Rajpath, Vijay Chowk and all road leading to India Gate will be closed for general traffic, Kamal Attaturk Marg also closed. All travellers are advised to avoid these roads," Delhi Traffic Police tweeted early Saturday.
Ten stations Pragati Maidan, Mandi House, Barakhamba Road, Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhawan, Race Course, Khan Market and Jorbagh will remain closed.
However, inter-change facility will be available at Rajiv Chowk and Central Secretariat stations, DMRC officials said.
Delhi Police today has stepped up security in the capital closing India Gate and Raisina Hill for the public.
A large number of police personnel were deployed at Rajpath, the stretch connecting India Gate and Raisina Hill where larges cale protests were witnessed last weekend, and roads leading to this was closed.
Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar last night tweeted, "praying hard for the rape victim will ensure accused are given severest punishment and quickly Reqst ppl to stay calm and maintain peace."
A senior police official said the entire central Vista including Rajpath, Vijay Chowk and all roads leading to India Gate will be closed for general traffic.
"Kamal Attaturk Marg also closed. All traveller advised to avoid these roads," the official said.
India Gate and Raisina Hill had witnessed violent protests against the gang-rape and police resorted to baton charge, water cannons and lobbing teargas shells to disperse protesters.
Constable Subhash Tomar died last Sunday during violent protests.
The young physiotherapy student died in a Singapore hospital early Saturday.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars