Delhi gang-rape victim death: Police urge calm; India Gate closed for public
New Delhi: Fearing large-scale protests following the death of the gang-rape victim, the Delhi Police on Saturday announced that India Gate and its surrounding areas that comprise the capital`s power centre would be out of bounds for the general public.
"Entire Central Vista including Rajpath, Vijay Chowk and all road leading to India Gate will be closed for general traffic, Kamal Attaturk Marg also closed. All travellers are advised to avoid these roads," Delhi Traffic Police tweeted early Saturday.
Ten stations Pragati Maidan, Mandi House, Barakhamba Road, Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhawan, Race Course, Khan Market and Jorbagh will remain closed.
However, inter-change facility will be available at Rajiv Chowk and Central Secretariat stations, DMRC officials said.
Delhi Police today has stepped up security in the capital closing India Gate and Raisina Hill for the public.
A large number of police personnel were deployed at Rajpath, the stretch connecting India Gate and Raisina Hill where larges cale protests were witnessed last weekend, and roads leading to this was closed.
Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar last night tweeted, "praying hard for the rape victim will ensure accused are given severest punishment and quickly Reqst ppl to stay calm and maintain peace."
A senior police official said the entire central Vista including Rajpath, Vijay Chowk and all roads leading to India Gate will be closed for general traffic.
"Kamal Attaturk Marg also closed. All traveller advised to avoid these roads," the official said.
India Gate and Raisina Hill had witnessed violent protests against the gang-rape and police resorted to baton charge, water cannons and lobbing teargas shells to disperse protesters.
Constable Subhash Tomar died last Sunday during violent protests.
The young physiotherapy student died in a Singapore hospital early Saturday.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH