Delhi gang-rape victim death: Police urge calm; India Gate closed for public
New Delhi: Fearing large-scale protests following the death of the gang-rape victim, the Delhi Police on Saturday announced that India Gate and its surrounding areas that comprise the capital`s power centre would be out of bounds for the general public.
"Entire Central Vista including Rajpath, Vijay Chowk and all road leading to India Gate will be closed for general traffic, Kamal Attaturk Marg also closed. All travellers are advised to avoid these roads," Delhi Traffic Police tweeted early Saturday.
Ten stations Pragati Maidan, Mandi House, Barakhamba Road, Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhawan, Race Course, Khan Market and Jorbagh will remain closed.
However, inter-change facility will be available at Rajiv Chowk and Central Secretariat stations, DMRC officials said.
Delhi Police today has stepped up security in the capital closing India Gate and Raisina Hill for the public.
A large number of police personnel were deployed at Rajpath, the stretch connecting India Gate and Raisina Hill where larges cale protests were witnessed last weekend, and roads leading to this was closed.
Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar last night tweeted, "praying hard for the rape victim will ensure accused are given severest punishment and quickly Reqst ppl to stay calm and maintain peace."
A senior police official said the entire central Vista including Rajpath, Vijay Chowk and all roads leading to India Gate will be closed for general traffic.
"Kamal Attaturk Marg also closed. All traveller advised to avoid these roads," the official said.
India Gate and Raisina Hill had witnessed violent protests against the gang-rape and police resorted to baton charge, water cannons and lobbing teargas shells to disperse protesters.
Constable Subhash Tomar died last Sunday during violent protests.
The young physiotherapy student died in a Singapore hospital early Saturday.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid