Delhi gang-rape victim didn`t die of medical negligence: Court
New Delhi: The 23-year-old December 16 gang-rape victim did not die of medical negligence, a Delhi court on Tuesday said while holding four persons guilty in the case.
Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna rejected the defence argument that the girl did not die of injuries inflicted on her by the accused and instead succumbed due to medical negligence and delay in rushing her to the hospital.
The court also rejected the argument of the defence that the girl died due to septicemia caused by infection she got while she was being admitted in the hospital.
The judge said, "I disagree with both the submissions as the MLC do show that immediately after her admission in the hospital" and was attended to.
He said there was no delay in the first operation, which was performed on the same night when the victim was brought to the hospital.
On defence argument that the girl had caught infection due to bacteria in the environment of the hospital and due to manhandling, the court relied upon the testimony of a doctor to say that his deposition defies their claim.
The doctor had "voluntarily" deposed that the likely cause of septicemia and death could be the injury to the rectum which contains billions of pathogenic organisms and injury to the colon.
He had also said the weapon (iron rods) which was used to cause injury might have had lot of disease producing organisms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...