Delhi gang-rape victim dies; ten Metro stations shut
New Delhi: Keeping in view of the possibility of flaring up of protests at India Gate against the death of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim state government has shut down ten metro stations on Saturday.
Ten stations Pragati Maidan, Mandi House, Barakhamba Road, Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhawan, Race Course, Khan Market and Jorbagh will remain closed.
Rajiv Chowk sees the maximum footfall of over 5 lakh a day and shutting down of this station has caused much problems for people who were agitated and looked helpless.
However, inter-change facility will be available at Rajiv Chowk and Central Secretariat stations, DMRC officials said.
The decision to close down the Metro stations was taken by the Delhi Police which is making all out efforts to prevent protesters from reaching India Gate. They have already blocked the entire India Gate area.
Police had last week also closed down Metro stations to prevent protesters from reaching the protest sites.
A young woman who was flown to Singapore after her brutal gang-rape and torture in the Indian capital died here early Saturday, the Mount Elizabeth Hospital announced.
The victim, whose name has not been revealed, passed away "peacefully" at 4.45 am with her distraught family and Indian diplomats by her side, hospital official Kelvin Loh said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder