Delhi gang-rape victim dies; ten Metro stations shut
New Delhi: Keeping in view of the possibility of flaring up of protests at India Gate against the death of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim state government has shut down ten metro stations on Saturday.
Ten stations Pragati Maidan, Mandi House, Barakhamba Road, Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhawan, Race Course, Khan Market and Jorbagh will remain closed.
Rajiv Chowk sees the maximum footfall of over 5 lakh a day and shutting down of this station has caused much problems for people who were agitated and looked helpless.
However, inter-change facility will be available at Rajiv Chowk and Central Secretariat stations, DMRC officials said.
The decision to close down the Metro stations was taken by the Delhi Police which is making all out efforts to prevent protesters from reaching India Gate. They have already blocked the entire India Gate area.
Police had last week also closed down Metro stations to prevent protesters from reaching the protest sites.
A young woman who was flown to Singapore after her brutal gang-rape and torture in the Indian capital died here early Saturday, the Mount Elizabeth Hospital announced.
The victim, whose name has not been revealed, passed away "peacefully" at 4.45 am with her distraught family and Indian diplomats by her side, hospital official Kelvin Loh said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi