Delhi gang-rape: Victim flown to Singapore for further treatment

The gang-rape victim, who is battling for life for the past 10 days at Safdarjung hospital, was on Wednesday night flown to a hospital in Singapore.

New Delhi: The 23-year-old gang-rape victim, who has been battling for life for the past 10 days at Safdarjung hospital, was on Wednesday night flown to Singapore for further treatment.

The rape victim was shifted to Mount Elizabeth Hospital, which has a state-of-the-art facility for multi-organ transplant, after doctors attending on her decided that she should be taken there for treatment that could last for several weeks.

Dr BD Athani, Medical Superintendent of the Safdarjung Hospital where the victim was rushed to after being gang-raped and brutally assaulted on December 16, said that she was given "the best of the available medical aid" during her 10-day treatment at the hospital here.

"Based on the advice of a team of doctors, the Government of India has made arrangements for the patient being shifted in a well-equipped air ambulance," he told reporters.

"The team of doctors decided that the patient be shifted to Mount Elizabeth Hospital (in Singapore). The said hospital has the state-of-the-art facility for multi-organ transplant. The treatment might take longer," he said.

The girl has been on ventilator support since she was admitted to Safdarjung hospital on December 16 after she was gang-raped in a moving bus in South Delhi.
The Indian High Commission in Singapore has been asked by the government here to render all assistance for the girl.

The girl underwent two major and one minor surgeries in the past 10 days during which major part of intestine was removed.

The victim has been on ventilator for majority of her stay in the hospital, except for two days when she was taken off ventilator and started breating on her own.

Despite the violence that she underwent, the girl was "physcologically fit and sound" with doctors calling her a very brave girl who was concerned about her future.

During her 10-day stay in the ICU of the hospital, the girl was administered plasma-rich platelets and blood to keep her vital parameters stable.

The condition of the victim deteriorated last night as her pulse rate reduced considerably but it recovered soon.

She, however, continues to be critical but stable, doctors attending on her said today.

The medical bulletin on her health by the doctors at Safdarjung hospital, was postponed twice today as top heart specialists attended on her.

Top health specialists, including Naresh Trehan, were attending on the girl and held consultations with the panel of doctors looking into her health condition.

The medical bulletin on the victim`s health was to be issued at 4.30 pm but it was postponed to 6.30 pm, only to be put off again by the hospital administration.

Sources said government will bear all expenses of the girl`s treatment in Singapore.