Delhi gang-rape victim given symbolic name `Damini`
New Delhi: The 23-year-old gang-rape victim, battling for life in a Delhi hospital, has been named "Damini" by thousands of people who are supporting her on the streets and via social networking sites. The name draws inspiration from a Hindi film on a woman`s fight for justice for a rape victim.
Outside Safdarjung Hospital, where the girl is battling for life after her brutal gang-rape by six men in a moving bus in south Delhi Dec 16, people gathered Sunday with placards that said "Damini tum sangharsh karo, hum tumhare sath hain" (struggle Damini, we are with you).
"Damini" was a Hindi film, released in 1993, featuring a woman`s struggle against society and her family for justice for a rape victim.
While police fired tear gas shells and used water cannons against protestors at India Gate in central Delhi Saturday and Sunday, at Safdarjung Hospital children were seen leading the protests, holding placards demanding speedy justice.
In a corner was a chart paper put up by some student-groups for messages for the victim.
One of the messages on the chart demanded that the accused be handed over to the public. Another one asked for castration of the accused while one more sought death penalty for the rapists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- US Judge blocks federal action on transgender students' bathroom access
- Athletics: Long jump star Rutherford swaps spikes for dancing shoes
- Turkey backtracks on `IS child bomber` claims
- Hardik Patel used quota stir to become leader, amass wealth: Ex-aides
- Tribunal confirms French resort`s burkini ban