Delhi gang-rape victim passes away `peacefully` in Singapore
Singapore: A young woman who was flown to Singapore after her brutal gang-rape and torture in the Indian capital died here early Saturday, the Mount Elizabeth Hospital announced.
The victim, whose name has not been revealed, passed away "peacefully" at 4.45 am with her distraught family and Indian diplomats by her side, hospital official Kelvin Loh said in a statement.
"We are very sad to report that the patient passed away peacefully at 4.45 am,"
Chief Executive Loh said. "Her family and officials from the high commission of India were by her side."
The 23-year-old woman suffered multiple-organ failure after she was raped by six men in a moving bus in Delhi for about 40 minutes on December 16 and dumped her by a roadside.
Her male friend was also badly beaten up and thrown out of the bus.
All six accused, including one who is said to be juvenile, have been arrested and are in Delhi`s Tihar Central Jail.
Authorities in India shifted the woman, who had been on ventilator support since her rape, to Singapore on Thursday in last ditch attempt to save her life.
"Despite all efforts by a team of eight specialists in Mount Elizabeth Hospital to
keep her stable, her condition continued to deteriorate over these two days," Loh
"She had suffered from severe organ failure following serious injuries to her body
"She was courageous in fighting for her life for so long against the odds but the trauma to her body was too severe for her to overcome."
BD Athani, the medical superintendent of Delhi`s Safdarjung Hospital, said the woman had been speaking to her mother and other family members earlier, giving the impression that she would somehow survive.
But her condition deteriorated rapidly after the operation, with a fatal infection spreading to her chest, lungs and intestine, he said.
India`s High Commissioner to Singapore, TCA Raghavan, said the woman`s family was "shattered".
"The scale of her injuries (was) very great," Raghavan told the media.
"It was very trying for the family. The girl of course was unconscious...”
"I must say they (the family) bore the entire process with a great deal of fortitude and a great deal of courage."
He said arrangements were on to take the body to India in line with the family`s wishes.
The horrific gang-rape, in which the rapists used an iron rod to torture her, triggered angry demonstrations across India against growing sexual crimes against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi