Delhi gang-rape victim passes away `peacefully` in Singapore
Singapore: A young woman who was flown to Singapore after her brutal gang-rape and torture in the Indian capital died here early Saturday, the Mount Elizabeth Hospital announced.
The victim, whose name has not been revealed, passed away "peacefully" at 4.45 am with her distraught family and Indian diplomats by her side, hospital official Kelvin Loh said in a statement.
"We are very sad to report that the patient passed away peacefully at 4.45 am,"
Chief Executive Loh said. "Her family and officials from the high commission of India were by her side."
The 23-year-old woman suffered multiple-organ failure after she was raped by six men in a moving bus in Delhi for about 40 minutes on December 16 and dumped her by a roadside.
Her male friend was also badly beaten up and thrown out of the bus.
All six accused, including one who is said to be juvenile, have been arrested and are in Delhi`s Tihar Central Jail.
Authorities in India shifted the woman, who had been on ventilator support since her rape, to Singapore on Thursday in last ditch attempt to save her life.
"Despite all efforts by a team of eight specialists in Mount Elizabeth Hospital to
keep her stable, her condition continued to deteriorate over these two days," Loh
"She had suffered from severe organ failure following serious injuries to her body
"She was courageous in fighting for her life for so long against the odds but the trauma to her body was too severe for her to overcome."
BD Athani, the medical superintendent of Delhi`s Safdarjung Hospital, said the woman had been speaking to her mother and other family members earlier, giving the impression that she would somehow survive.
But her condition deteriorated rapidly after the operation, with a fatal infection spreading to her chest, lungs and intestine, he said.
India`s High Commissioner to Singapore, TCA Raghavan, said the woman`s family was "shattered".
"The scale of her injuries (was) very great," Raghavan told the media.
"It was very trying for the family. The girl of course was unconscious...”
"I must say they (the family) bore the entire process with a great deal of fortitude and a great deal of courage."
He said arrangements were on to take the body to India in line with the family`s wishes.
The horrific gang-rape, in which the rapists used an iron rod to torture her, triggered angry demonstrations across India against growing sexual crimes against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened