Delhi gang-rape victim passes away `peacefully` in Singapore
Singapore: A young woman who was flown to Singapore after her brutal gang-rape and torture in the Indian capital died here early Saturday, the Mount Elizabeth Hospital announced.
The victim, whose name has not been revealed, passed away "peacefully" at 4.45 am with her distraught family and Indian diplomats by her side, hospital official Kelvin Loh said in a statement.
"We are very sad to report that the patient passed away peacefully at 4.45 am,"
Chief Executive Loh said. "Her family and officials from the high commission of India were by her side."
The 23-year-old woman suffered multiple-organ failure after she was raped by six men in a moving bus in Delhi for about 40 minutes on December 16 and dumped her by a roadside.
Her male friend was also badly beaten up and thrown out of the bus.
All six accused, including one who is said to be juvenile, have been arrested and are in Delhi`s Tihar Central Jail.
Authorities in India shifted the woman, who had been on ventilator support since her rape, to Singapore on Thursday in last ditch attempt to save her life.
"Despite all efforts by a team of eight specialists in Mount Elizabeth Hospital to
keep her stable, her condition continued to deteriorate over these two days," Loh
"She had suffered from severe organ failure following serious injuries to her body
"She was courageous in fighting for her life for so long against the odds but the trauma to her body was too severe for her to overcome."
BD Athani, the medical superintendent of Delhi`s Safdarjung Hospital, said the woman had been speaking to her mother and other family members earlier, giving the impression that she would somehow survive.
But her condition deteriorated rapidly after the operation, with a fatal infection spreading to her chest, lungs and intestine, he said.
India`s High Commissioner to Singapore, TCA Raghavan, said the woman`s family was "shattered".
"The scale of her injuries (was) very great," Raghavan told the media.
"It was very trying for the family. The girl of course was unconscious...”
"I must say they (the family) bore the entire process with a great deal of fortitude and a great deal of courage."
He said arrangements were on to take the body to India in line with the family`s wishes.
The horrific gang-rape, in which the rapists used an iron rod to torture her, triggered angry demonstrations across India against growing sexual crimes against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah