Delhi gang-rape victim still extremely critical: Singapore doctors
Singapore: The 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim, who was flown in an air ambulance from India early this morning, was in an extremely critical condition at the super specialty Mount Elizabeth Hospital here.
A bulletin issued on Thursday evening by the hospital said: "As at 7pm (4.30pm IST) the patient remains in an extremely critical condition. She is under treatment at Mount Elizabeth Hospital`s Intensive Care Unit."
"A multi-disciplinary team of specialists is taking care of her and doing everything possible to stabilise her condition," said Dr Kelvin Loh, Chief Executive Officer of the Mount Elizabeth Hospital.
The 373-bed multi-organ transplant specialty hospital was established in 1973. One of the leading hospitals in Asia, it is known for kidney and heart transplants and receives patients from across the globe because of its state-of-the-art facilities for highly-complicated surgeries.
The young woman, who was gang-raped and brutally assaulted in a moving bus on December 16, withstood the six-hour flight from Delhi from where she was brought in an air ambulance this morning.
She underwent three surgeries at the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi, where she remained on ventilator support during most part of the treatment. Doctors removed major part of her intestines which had become gangrenous.
Earlier, the Indian High Commission in Singapore said that the plane carrying the girl landed at the Changi International Airport here at 7.30am (5am IST). She was accompanied by her parents and a team of doctors.
The decision to shift the girl was taken at the highest level of the Indian government, which has declared that it will bear all the expenses of her treatment.
The hospital and the High Commission have requested complete privacy for the patient, the parents and the doctors treating the victim.
"We have received numerous queries regarding the condition of the patient and also many offers of help. We are deeply grateful for all of these offers," the Indian mission said in a statement.
"At this stage, we would request that the privacy of the patient, family members as also of the medical team in attendance is fully respected so that the treatment may continue smoothly," the statement said.
The Indian mission has also assigned a liaison officer to the girl`s parents.
The parents are accommodated in a hotel with 24-hour attachment of a liaison officer, a High Commission official told PTI.
In New Delhi, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said the government would spare no effort for the treatment of the victim and it would meet all the costs for her treatment.
"We are all aware of the critical condition of victim. Since the day of the incident, it has been our endeavour to provide her the best of medical care. Despite the best efforts of our doctors, the victim continues to be critical and her fluctuating health remains a big cause of concern to all of us," he said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM