Delhi gang-rape victim’s condition worsens, signs of severe organ failure
New Delhi/Singapore: The condition of 23-year-old gang-rape victim has taken a turn for the worse, doctors at Mount Elizabeth Hospital informed on Friday.
"As of 9 pm (6:30 PM IST), the patient`s condition has taken a turn for the worse. Her vital signs are deteriorating with signs of severe organ failure," Dr Kelvin Loh, Chief Executive Officer, Mount Elizabeth Hospital said in a statement.
"This is despite doctors fighting for her life including putting her on maximum artificial ventilation support, optimal antibiotic doses as well as stimulants which maximise her body`s capability to fight infections," the CEO said.
"Her family members have been informed that her condition has deteriorated and they are currently by her side to encourage and comfort her," he added.
The statement said the hospital`s medical team continues to "provide all possible treatment and care", to the victim, who was air-dashed from the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi for specialised treatment.
He said the the High Commission of India is with her and her family at this critical time.
Earlier, Kelvin Loh, the hospital`s chief executive officer, was quoted by the Straits Times as saying that besides a prior cardiac arrest, she also had infection of her lungs and abdomen, and had suffered "significant brain injury".
The victim was admitted to the Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore early Thursday after her condition deteriorated in the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi.
She underwent three surgeries at the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi, where she remained on ventilator support during most part of the treatment. Doctors removed major part of her intestines which had become gangrenous.
The young woman was gang-raped and brutally assaulted in a moving bus on December 16 by a group of six people. The six suspects have been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal