Delhi gang-rape: Victim’s statement to act as crucial dying declaration?
New Delhi: Although the 23-year-old gang-rape victim is now resting in peace but her statement which was recorded by the metropolitan magistrate on December 25 could play a crucial role in the form of a dying declaration in the case to nail the six accused involved in this heinous crime, according to the legal experts.
After a controversy over recording of victim`s statement, her fresh testimony was taken by the metropolitan magistrate. The controversy had erupted after Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit complained to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde that senior police officials "interfered" in the process and sought an enquiry.
In a letter to Shinde, Dikshit had cited a communication to her by Deputy Commissioner (East) BM Mishra that Sub Divisional Magistrate Usha Chaturvedi had claimed that three senior police officers had prevented the video recording of the victim`s statement. It was also alleged that the police officers wanted the SDM to use a questionnaire they prepared.
It later turned out to be an open war between Dikshit and Delhi Police, who demanded a probe into the "leakage" of her letter to the home minister.
Delhi police have already invoked murder charges against the six accused on Saturday, who gang-raped the paramedical student in a moving bus and then dumped her on road on December 16.
With the help of deceased statement, Delhi police now can make a very strong case against the accused and ask for stringent punishment from the court of law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends