Delhi gang-rape: What will be the fate of convicts?
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
New Delhi: The much-awaited order in the Delhi gangrape case of the 23-year-old paramedic student will be pronounced on Friday.
Though the accused, Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28), Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20) have already begged for mercy before Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna, who had held them guilty of gangrape, the victim’s family is adamant in demanding nothing less than gallows for the convicts.
As the police has also charged all the convicts of murder, the law provides a minimum of life sentence and maximum of death penalty. The Delhi police on Wednesday said that there is no scope for sympathy for heinous crime committed by the them.
But the justice for the victim’s family will only be done only if all the accused are hanged, as they questioned, “Why should the court show mercy to them when they didn`t think twice before assaulting our only daughter?”
However, the juvenile accused, said to be the most violent of all the convicts got away with most lenient of the punishment. He was on August 31 convicted and sentenced to a maximum of three years in a reformation home.
The incident shook the nation`s conscience and sparked massive protests. It prompted a number of steps by the Centre and the Delhi government to ensure safety of women, curb such incidents and facilitate quick disposal of cases.
Now, what remains to be seen is whether it is life in prison or death for the convicts.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra