Delhi gang-rape: What will be the fate of convicts?
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
New Delhi: The much-awaited order in the Delhi gangrape case of the 23-year-old paramedic student will be pronounced on Friday.
Though the accused, Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28), Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20) have already begged for mercy before Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna, who had held them guilty of gangrape, the victim’s family is adamant in demanding nothing less than gallows for the convicts.
As the police has also charged all the convicts of murder, the law provides a minimum of life sentence and maximum of death penalty. The Delhi police on Wednesday said that there is no scope for sympathy for heinous crime committed by the them.
But the justice for the victim’s family will only be done only if all the accused are hanged, as they questioned, “Why should the court show mercy to them when they didn`t think twice before assaulting our only daughter?”
However, the juvenile accused, said to be the most violent of all the convicts got away with most lenient of the punishment. He was on August 31 convicted and sentenced to a maximum of three years in a reformation home.
The incident shook the nation`s conscience and sparked massive protests. It prompted a number of steps by the Centre and the Delhi government to ensure safety of women, curb such incidents and facilitate quick disposal of cases.
Now, what remains to be seen is whether it is life in prison or death for the convicts.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf