Delhi gang-rape: Why should Police commissioner not be suspended, asks HC
New Delhi: In a severe indictment of the Delhi Police, the High Court on Wednesday asked why its top police officer was not being held accountable for the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year old girl in the national capital.
The Delhi High Court has sought a detailed report from the police as to what transpired on the fateful night of December 16, when the para-medical student was subjected to barbaric assault. She subsequently died in a Singapore on 29 December.
The court`s remark came after counsel appearing for the police submitted a status report of the case where it failed to provide names of officials deployed in police control room (PCR) vans during the incident and told the court that the assistant commissioner of police (ACP) of the area concerned had been suspended.
A division bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice VK Jain, expressing displeasure over the report, said: "We directed you (police) to give the names of officials posted on the three PCR vans in the areas. Today also we are not convinced, because names of officers responsible have not come in."
After police counsel Dayan Krishnan said the ACP of the PCR command had been suspended, the court said: "Is he (ACP) only responsible? Why not DCP and CP suspended?"
The heinous crime shocked the entire nation and the country has seen an unprecedented outbreak of protests with people demanding more stringent laws to deal with crime against women.
The court also pulled up Delhi Police for not following the Supreme Court`s order on removing tinted glasses from vehicles.
When the court was told that the ACP of the traffic wing was also suspended, the court said: "Why joint commissioner of traffic not suspended?"
"Who are the officials responsible for these lapses? Why were dark glasses and curtains not removed after the Supreme Court order? Why no further action was taken," said Justice Jain.
The court would pass its order in the matter Thursday.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof