‘Delhi gang-rape widely reported in France’
New Delhi: The December 16 gang-rape case was widely reported in France not just because of the savage nature of the crime but also due to the protests that followed, French Minister of Women`s Rights Najat Vallaud-Belkacem said here on Monday.
She said that Justice Verma Committee was appointed swiftly and its report is of "great quality" though she herself disagreed on the issue of capital punishment.
The minister said that violence and inequality is felt by women across the globe and countries like India and France can learn from each other`s experiences.
"Inequality of women concerns both India and France, though it might have different manifestations in both the countries. In France we also see a lot of violence against women, we see that not a lot of women entrepreneurs are there who start companies," she said through an interpreter.
"But today, we are seeing that international feminism is going beyond borders and it is useful to come here and learn from good practices because we have been inspired by lot of good things we saw and heard in India," she added.
Vallaud-Belkacem said that she was impressed by a door to door campaign that Delhi police conduct in areas where rate of violence against women is high and also the self-defence training given to girls.
Speaking about the Delhi gang-rape case, the French minister said the case involved very savage violence and was extensively written by the French Press.
"What was very shocking was the young age of the aggressors," she said, adding that with the civil society speaking out, it seemed that there was a collectively reaction.
Speaking further, the French minister said it is also a problem that not enough women complain of such crimes. "Only one out of ten women complains. She feels guilty instead of considering the man guilty," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway