‘Delhi gang-rape widely reported in France’
New Delhi: The December 16 gang-rape case was widely reported in France not just because of the savage nature of the crime but also due to the protests that followed, French Minister of Women`s Rights Najat Vallaud-Belkacem said here on Monday.
She said that Justice Verma Committee was appointed swiftly and its report is of "great quality" though she herself disagreed on the issue of capital punishment.
The minister said that violence and inequality is felt by women across the globe and countries like India and France can learn from each other`s experiences.
"Inequality of women concerns both India and France, though it might have different manifestations in both the countries. In France we also see a lot of violence against women, we see that not a lot of women entrepreneurs are there who start companies," she said through an interpreter.
"But today, we are seeing that international feminism is going beyond borders and it is useful to come here and learn from good practices because we have been inspired by lot of good things we saw and heard in India," she added.
Vallaud-Belkacem said that she was impressed by a door to door campaign that Delhi police conduct in areas where rate of violence against women is high and also the self-defence training given to girls.
Speaking about the Delhi gang-rape case, the French minister said the case involved very savage violence and was extensively written by the French Press.
"What was very shocking was the young age of the aggressors," she said, adding that with the civil society speaking out, it seemed that there was a collectively reaction.
Speaking further, the French minister said it is also a problem that not enough women complain of such crimes. "Only one out of ten women complains. She feels guilty instead of considering the man guilty," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Militants kill civilian in Kashmir
- Indian worker tells Australia court his pro-ISIS post was 'sarcastic'
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, Mi 5 open sale to begin at 2 pm today
- Salman Khan's Katrina connect was seen at 'Sultan' trailer launch? Details inside
- China supplying nuclear weapons system to Pakistan, poses threat to US, India