Delhi gangrape case: HC to hear trial court reference on Monday
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court will hear on Monday the trial court`s reference for confirmation of the death penalty awarded by it to four men in the December 16 gangrape-cum-murder case.
The matter will be heard by a bench headed by Justice Reva Khetrapa.
On September 13 while awarding capital punishment to Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28), Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20), Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna had referred the case to the high court for confirmation of the sentence.
The trial court has to refer each death penalty case to the high court for confirmation of the punishment.
The four convicts were awarded death sentence in the brutal gangrape case by the sessions court which said it fell in the rarest of rare category as the crime was committed against a 23-year-old girl in a "beastly" and "hair-raising" manner.
"Accordingly, the convicts be hanged by neck till they are dead," the trial court had said after noting that the inhuman and ghastly acts of the convicts shocked the collective conscience of the nation and deserves exemplary punishment.
Key accused Ram Singh (34) was found dead in the cell in Thar Jail here in March and proceedings against him were abated. The juvenile accused was on August 31 convicted and sentenced to a maximum of three years in a reformation home.
On the night of December 16, last year, the paramedic student was gangraped in a moving bus in south Delhi after the convicts luring her and her 28-year-old male friend, who was also assaulted, on board the vehicle, which was later found to be plying illegally on the national capital`s roads.
The victim`s friend, a software engineer, suffered fractures in his limbs. The girl succumbed to her injuries on December 29, 2012 in a Singapore hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued