Delhi gangrape case: HC to hear trial court reference on Monday
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court will hear on Monday the trial court`s reference for confirmation of the death penalty awarded by it to four men in the December 16 gangrape-cum-murder case.
The matter will be heard by a bench headed by Justice Reva Khetrapa.
On September 13 while awarding capital punishment to Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28), Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20), Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna had referred the case to the high court for confirmation of the sentence.
The trial court has to refer each death penalty case to the high court for confirmation of the punishment.
The four convicts were awarded death sentence in the brutal gangrape case by the sessions court which said it fell in the rarest of rare category as the crime was committed against a 23-year-old girl in a "beastly" and "hair-raising" manner.
"Accordingly, the convicts be hanged by neck till they are dead," the trial court had said after noting that the inhuman and ghastly acts of the convicts shocked the collective conscience of the nation and deserves exemplary punishment.
Key accused Ram Singh (34) was found dead in the cell in Thar Jail here in March and proceedings against him were abated. The juvenile accused was on August 31 convicted and sentenced to a maximum of three years in a reformation home.
On the night of December 16, last year, the paramedic student was gangraped in a moving bus in south Delhi after the convicts luring her and her 28-year-old male friend, who was also assaulted, on board the vehicle, which was later found to be plying illegally on the national capital`s roads.
The victim`s friend, a software engineer, suffered fractures in his limbs. The girl succumbed to her injuries on December 29, 2012 in a Singapore hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre