Delhi: Gauze piece found in woman`s stomach 6 months after surgery
New Delhi: A large piece of gauze has been retrieved from a woman`s stomach six months after she underwent a cesarean section at a leading private hospital near here.
In a case of alleged negligence, medical staff at Fortis Hospital, Noida forgot the piece of gauze inside the 33-year-old woman`s stomach on December 23, 2013 when she gave birth to a baby.
A statement by the Fortis Hospital authorities said they "have constituted a committee which is presently investigating into the matter".
Since the woman was discharged from the hospital three days after the surgery, she had been complaining about severe abdominal pain. Last month, she underwent fresh tests at the hospital when a `foreign element` was spotted in her stomach, a family member said.
She was then taken to another private hospital in the capital where doctors retrieved the piece of gauze on June 30.
The family member said they had filed a complaint with police against the private hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?