Delhi gears up for R-Day celebrations
New Delhi: Delhi on Wednesday geared up for Republic Day celebrations with a ground-to-air security apparatus put in place to keep a tight vigil and authorities
giving final touches for the event which showcases the country`s military might and cultural diversity.
Over 25,000 police personnel, including those from paramilitary and sharpshooters from NSG, have been already deployed across the city in the run-up to the celebrations, which will be attended by Yingluck Shinawatra, the first woman
Prime Minister of Thailand.
To maintain air security, the airspace over the capital will remain closed for an hour tomorrow from 11.15 am to 12.15 pm.
Snipers were deployed at high-rise buildings while over 160 CCTVs are keeping a tight vigil on people`s movement between Rajpath and Red Fort, the route of the parade which showcases India`s military might and cultural diversity.
Mobile hit teams, anti-aircraft guns and sharpshooters of the NSG are also on the job at various places while paramilitary and Delhi Police commandos were keeping a close watch along the route of the eight-kilometre long Republic Day
parade from Raisana Hills to Red Fort.
A multi-layer security ring has already been put in place at Rajpath, where President Pratibha Patil will unfurl the tricolour and take the salute of marching contingents.
"There is a special emphasis on anti-sabotage checks, access control measures and intelligence coordination. The entire route of the parade will be covered by special security and anti-terror arrangements.
"Elaborate air defence measures, including deployment of anti-aircraft guns, have also been taken to check intrusion of air space," a senior police official said.
Besides the air defence measures, helicopters of the Indian Air Force will hover around Rajpath and all along the route of the parade.
Patrolling in crowded market areas has been intensified and checking and frisking in Metro, railway stations and bus terminals tightened. Security at the IGI
airport has also been strengthened in coordination with the CISF.
Checking and frisking have also been intensified at all entry points with police setting up barricades to keep a vigil on all those entering the capital.
No vehicles will be allowed to ply on the Rajpath from 6 pm on January 25 while vehicular movement will be affected on Tilak Marg, Bahadurshah Zafar Marg, Netaji Subhash Marg upto Red Fort from 4 am the next day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`