Delhi gears up for Sunday’s MCD elections
New Delhi: Delhiites will seal the electoral fate of 2,400 candidates when they hit the polling booths on Sunday to elect councillors for the newly-carved three municipal bodies in the capital, an election seen as a semi-final ahead of next year`s Assembly polls.
With campaigning ending at an unusual time of 5:30 am on Saturday, political parties and candidates, a large chunk of them independents, spent a sleepless night wooing voters at the last minute. The counting of votes will take place on Tuesday.
The polls to the three civic bodies -- East, North and South -- carved out from Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) is crucial for Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and the opposition BJP as the Assembly elections are just 18 months away.
The State Election Commission has made elaborate arrangements for tomorrow`s polling by deploying around 70,000 officials for conducting the polls and over 30,000 police personnel for security.
A total of 55 polling stations have been identified as hyper-sensitive while 275 have been declared as sensitive out of 11,500 polling stations. Most of the hyper-sensitive and sensitive polling stations fall under Assembly segments of Jamia Nagar, Seelampur and Chandni Chowk.
A total of 1.12 crore eligible voters will be able to exercise their franchise in the polls which include 42.95 lakh voters in North Delhi Municipal Corporation, 42.67 lakh voters in South Delhi corporation and 27.16 lakh voters in East Delhi
The main contenders are BJP and Congress, the ruling and opposition block respectively in the current MCD, but smaller parties like Samajwadi Party and BSP are giving sleepless nights to them.
Though in public they make claims about clean sweep in the elections, leaders in Congress and BJP are keeping their fingers crossed as the polls are nearing.
Both the parties are also tense about the rebel presence in some of the wards, which they believe will affect their chances in some of the areas. The two parties have also expelled a number of local leaders to send a strong message to
As the campaign entered a hectic phase, Dikshit and her Cabinet colleagues, Union Sports Minister Ajay Maken and DPCC chief Jai Prakash Aggarwal had hit the streets.
From the BJP side, almost all Delhi leaders, including Leader of Opposition in Delhi Assembly V K Malhotra and Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta are on campaign trail.
Gupta has earned the wrath of a section of his partymen over denial of party tickets. There was also criticism from within the party about giving poll ticket to his wife Shobha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India