Delhi gets Rs 1,358 cr interceptor project for Yamuna
New Delhi: In its ongoing efforts to keep
pollution away from the Yamuna river, the government has
okayed a major interceptor sewer project for the city under
The Rs 1,358 crore project, largest ever under Jawaharlal
Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) for Delhi, aims
to trap untreated water at Najafgarh and Shahdara drains.
The interceptor will be treating 1,320 million litres per
day before releasing the water into the drains which flow into
Since there are many drains connected to Najafgarh and
Shahdara drains which are directly flowing into the Yamuna,
the continuous flow of untreated water was polluting heavily
the riverine system.
Once the interceptor is commissioned, the flow of
untreated water into the Yamuna would be curbed to a great
extent, a senior Urban Development Ministry official said.
The ministry is responsible for releasing JNNURM funds to
different states and Union Territories.
The project would be implemented by the Delhi Jal Board.
The Expenditure Finance Committee has already approved
the project and now it would be put before the Cabinet
Committee on Infrastructure for the final approval.
Though there are about 27 projects under JNNURM being
implemented in the capital, the interceptor project is the
biggest one so far, said the official.
Besides construction of many flyovers and drainage system
in the city, redevelopment of Connaught Place and traffic
management plan for civic centre at Minto road are also being
undertaken under JNNURM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack