Delhi gets three new trains
New Delhi: Delhites have something to cheer about from this year`s Rail Budget with announcement of three new trains to various locations and reduction in travel time between the city and eastern metropolis of Kolkata.
In the Rail Budget presented by Minister Dinesh Trivedi, Delhi got two new trains that would depart from Sarai Rohilla station and one that passes through the capital.
While Delhi Sarai Rohilla-Udhampur AC Express (Tri-Weekly) and Bandra, Delhi Sarai Rohilla Express (Weekly) will depart from the Sarai Rohilla station, Ajmer-Haridwar Express will pass through the capital.
During his speech, the Railway Minister announced that pre-feasibility studies on six high speed corridors have already been completed and study on Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Jodhpur will be taken up in 2012-13.
A combination of prudent investment decisions in the areas of track & bridges, signaling, doubling and train-sets is proposed to be adopted to enable train running at speed of 160 kmph and above, he said.
If this comes into effect, the travel time between New Delhi and Kolkata would get reduced from almost 17 hours to 14 hours.
The proposal would significantly reduce travel time for passenger trains by 20-25 per cent. Such infrastructure would also enable Indian Railways to run Shatabdi trains on long distance trunk routes and between metros, he said in his speech.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Major Dhyan Chand example of sportsman spirit, patriotism: PM Modi pays tribute to the hockey legend
- Two criminals arrested; stolen motorcycle, arms recovered
- Congress not to project a CM candidate in Gujarat
- Ranveer Singh's rendition of 'Pardesi Pardesi' is so bad it is actually good! - Watch video
- Balochistan Assembly adopts resolution against PM Narendra Modi - Know details