Delhi government, civic bodies lock horns
New Delhi: Continuing its offensive against BJP-ruled civic bodies, Delhi Government on Monday asked them to focus on better tax collection and financial management to improve their revenue position rather than blaming it for all the difficulties.
Two senior ministers -- A K Walia and Raj Kumar Chouhan -- addressed a press conference along with three senior MLAs in which they lambasted the new civic bodies as well as erstwhile MCD for "shifting blame" on Delhi Government for all their problems.
"We do not believe in blame game which they are indulging in. We want them to perform their basic duties. If they face any problem, then we are always there to help," said Urban Development Minister Walia.
City BJP chief Vijender Gupta and newly elected mayors of all the three municipalities have been attacking the government
for not providing any bailout package as demanded by them and instead extending a loan of Rs 1,831 crore.
Walia said the city has over 32 lakh properties but MCD could collect house tax from around nine lakh properties only.
"They need to improve tax collection and ensure financial efficiency," he said.
Accusing the MCD of total failure in providing minimum civic services to the citizens, PWD Minister Chouhan said that instead of announcing their plans and programmes, the mayors of the new civic bodies are concentrating on facilities like housing accommodation and cars for themselves.
"We have been in power for last 14 years. Still we do not have government bungalows," he said, adding the municipal bodies have been targeting the city government for all their difficulties.
Besides the ministers, the press conference was attended by Parliament Secretary to the chief minister Anil Bhardwaj, Spokesperson of Congress Legislative Party Mukesh Sharma and MLA Hari Shankar Gupta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail