Delhi government`s project to clean up Yamuna river
New Delhi: To address the issue of pollution in the Yamuna, Delhi government has undertaken a comprehensive project through which all the polluting drains shall be cleaned before they merge into the river.
The Delhi Jal Board (DJB) will set up an interceptor sewer with a length of 59 kms along the three major drains (supplementary, Najafgarh and Shahdara) to intercept sewerage from around 190 subsidiary small drains and transport it to the nearest Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) to ensure that only treated effluent is discharged into these major drains.
"Around 70 per cent of pollution load in the river shall be reduced by this effort," said a statement issued by the Lt Governor`s office today.
The already existing interceptor sewer between Aruna Nagar JJ Cluster up to the outfall of Khyber Pass drain, which intercepts untreated sewage from Sweeper Colony, Magazine Road and Khyber Pass drain, will be made fully-functional by June 2015.
The discharge intercepted from these drains shall be pumped to Nigam Bodh SPS and taken to the existing Okhla STP, which has a total treatment capacity of 170 MGD.
Metcalf House, Qudsia, Mori Gate, Tonga Stand, Civil Military drain shall be intercepted into the existing Ring Road trunk sewer which has recently been rehabilitated under Yamuna Action Plan-II.
The sewage collected from these drains shall be pumped to Okhla STP through Ring Road SPS and this work shall be completed by June next year.
The capacity of the STP at the mouth of the Delhi Gate drain can be augmented from existing 2.2 to 17.2 MGD by constructing an additional 15 MGD STP, said Delhi government officials.
The move comes after a team of Delhi government officials visited Gujarat earlier this month to study Ahmedabad`s Sabarmati riverfront project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical