Delhi government`s project to clean up Yamuna river
New Delhi: To address the issue of pollution in the Yamuna, Delhi government has undertaken a comprehensive project through which all the polluting drains shall be cleaned before they merge into the river.
The Delhi Jal Board (DJB) will set up an interceptor sewer with a length of 59 kms along the three major drains (supplementary, Najafgarh and Shahdara) to intercept sewerage from around 190 subsidiary small drains and transport it to the nearest Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) to ensure that only treated effluent is discharged into these major drains.
"Around 70 per cent of pollution load in the river shall be reduced by this effort," said a statement issued by the Lt Governor`s office today.
The already existing interceptor sewer between Aruna Nagar JJ Cluster up to the outfall of Khyber Pass drain, which intercepts untreated sewage from Sweeper Colony, Magazine Road and Khyber Pass drain, will be made fully-functional by June 2015.
The discharge intercepted from these drains shall be pumped to Nigam Bodh SPS and taken to the existing Okhla STP, which has a total treatment capacity of 170 MGD.
Metcalf House, Qudsia, Mori Gate, Tonga Stand, Civil Military drain shall be intercepted into the existing Ring Road trunk sewer which has recently been rehabilitated under Yamuna Action Plan-II.
The sewage collected from these drains shall be pumped to Okhla STP through Ring Road SPS and this work shall be completed by June next year.
The capacity of the STP at the mouth of the Delhi Gate drain can be augmented from existing 2.2 to 17.2 MGD by constructing an additional 15 MGD STP, said Delhi government officials.
The move comes after a team of Delhi government officials visited Gujarat earlier this month to study Ahmedabad`s Sabarmati riverfront project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof