Delhi government`s women helpline launch hit by technical snag
New Delhi: In a bid to check the increasing rate of crime against the feminine gender in the national capital, the Delhi Government on Monday launched a round-the-clock helpline ``181`` for offering immediate help to women in distress.
However minutes after its launch, the helpline, which operates from the Chief Minister`s office in Delhi Secretariat, suffered a technical snag.
The technical snag, which hit the women’s helpline, is a major embarrassment for the Delhi government, which has faced intense criticism for failing to improve the security situation across the state.
The helpline will be connected with all the 185 police stations across the city.
The number `181` can be dialed from landline and mobile phones.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had last week announced the setting up of the helpline service amid nationwide uproar over brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in a moving bus.
Dikshit, who has condemned all incidents of violence and sexual assault against women, said the Help line number 181will play a major role in helping the women in distress.
Telecom Ministry had released the three-digit number following the Chief Minister`s request. This is the first three-digit number to have been allotted by the Ministry in two years.
However, amid outpouring of anger and grief in the country, the body of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim was flown to New Delhi from Singapore early Sunday morning and cremated within hours.
The mortal remains were flown to the capital in a Special Aircraft of Air India and after landing at IGI airport. Family members accompanied the body. The cremation took place under a dense cover of fog.
The girl was gang raped and brutally assaulted by six men in a moving bus in South Delhi on the night of December 16.
With ANI Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata