Delhi govt admits discrepancies in public distribution system
New Delhi: Admitting "discrepancies" in the
public distribution system, Delhi Government today promised to
improve the mechanism so that intended beneficiaries get the
subsidised food items.
Food and Civil Supplies Minister Haroon Yusuf told the
Assembly that the government has issued 97,667 bio-metric BPL
cards to ensure that food articles meant for the BPL families
"actually reach them".
He said Government has decided to extend the deadline for
applying biometric BPL card from the earlier date of June 30.
Noting that several steps are being taken to plug the
leaks in the system, he said Delhi Government had written to
Planning Commission for raising the cap on total annual income
to Rs 60,000 instead of current limit of Rs 24,000 for
becoming eligible to get the card.
"We have written to the Planning Commission to raise the
cap for metropolitan cities so that more and more people could
be eligible to get the benefits," he said.
Yusuf said the Government had increased the minimum wage
for labourers and there was a need for considering increasing
the cap for giving the BPL status to a family.
Informing that his department has detected bogus cards,
he said Centre had approved an upper limit of 4.09 lakh BPL
cards for the national capital.
"We are waiting finalisation of food security Bill. After
passage of the Bill we will review the situation," he said,
adding if needed Delhi Government will take steps to provide
food at subsidised rates and other benefits to those people
who did not qualify for BPL cards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say