Delhi govt admits discrepancies in public distribution system
New Delhi: Admitting "discrepancies" in the
public distribution system, Delhi Government today promised to
improve the mechanism so that intended beneficiaries get the
subsidised food items.
Food and Civil Supplies Minister Haroon Yusuf told the
Assembly that the government has issued 97,667 bio-metric BPL
cards to ensure that food articles meant for the BPL families
"actually reach them".
He said Government has decided to extend the deadline for
applying biometric BPL card from the earlier date of June 30.
Noting that several steps are being taken to plug the
leaks in the system, he said Delhi Government had written to
Planning Commission for raising the cap on total annual income
to Rs 60,000 instead of current limit of Rs 24,000 for
becoming eligible to get the card.
"We have written to the Planning Commission to raise the
cap for metropolitan cities so that more and more people could
be eligible to get the benefits," he said.
Yusuf said the Government had increased the minimum wage
for labourers and there was a need for considering increasing
the cap for giving the BPL status to a family.
Informing that his department has detected bogus cards,
he said Centre had approved an upper limit of 4.09 lakh BPL
cards for the national capital.
"We are waiting finalisation of food security Bill. After
passage of the Bill we will review the situation," he said,
adding if needed Delhi Government will take steps to provide
food at subsidised rates and other benefits to those people
who did not qualify for BPL cards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow