Delhi govt asked to pay Rs 5 lakh to the family of stunt biker
New Delhi: NHRC on Monday asked Delhi Government to pay Rs five lakh as compensation to family of the youth who was killed in police firing at stunt bikers in the national capital in July last year after it observed that there was "error of judgment" and "unnecessary use of force" by the police in the incident.
According to an official statement released today, the National Human Rights Commission has recommended that the Delhi government pay Rs five lakh as monetary relief to the next of kin of Karan Pandey, who was killed in police firing on stunt bikers at Windsor Place, Ashoka Road here on the intervening night of 28 and 29 July, 2013.
The Commission has also asked the Chief Secretary to submit the proof of payment along with the action taken report on the departmental proceedings initiated against the delinquent police officials within six weeks.
NHRC had taken cognizance of the incident on the basis of an intimation received from the Deputy Commissioner of Police, New Delhi and complaints.
"On the basis of material on record, the Commission observes that the enquiry Magistrate had found that there was negligence and error of judgment on the part of an Inspector to open fire at the rear tyre of the bike which resulted in the death of Karan Pandey who was riding pillion on the bike driven by one Puneet Sharma," the statement said.
NHRC also observed that there was unnecessary use of force by opening fire which was disproportionate to the amount to threat to PCR officials` life.
"The entire incident of heavy stone pelting on police party is highly doubtful in the light of CCTV footage and statements of witnesses which could have caused life threatening risk to PCR officials," the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!