Delhi govt asks commissioner to train cops to handle sexual abuse complaints
New Delhi: Delhi government has asked Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar to impart proper training to police personnel handling cases of sexual assault so that women do not shy away from filing complaints.
"I have written a letter to the Police Commissioner asking him to impart training to police personnel handling cases of sexual violence," Women and Child Welfare Minister Kiran Walia said.
She specifically asked the Police Commissioner to give proper training to each of the 185 nodal officers appointed to receive complaints of sexual harassment of women.
"The investigating officers handling rape victims cases need to be properly trained and sensitised for proper investigation," said Walia.
The communication comes in the wake of national outrage over the brutal gang-rape and assault on a 23-year-old paramedic student who died on Saturday at a Singapore hospital.
The Minister also sought the Police Commissioner`s intervention in addressing the grievances of counsellors of Crisis Intervention Centres who face difficulty coordinating with women cops over cases of sexual assault.
Several CICs in Delhi provide counselling and legal services to sexual assault victims.
Walia said the CIC counsellors told her that private vehicles sent by police don`t have lady constables, especially in relation to the fact that CIC counsellors are mostly female.
"The lady police officials are not available at night at various police stations so as to co-ordinate with CIC counsellors and handle the rape victims, specially child victims sensitively," she said in the letter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown