Delhi govt asks commissioner to train cops to handle sexual abuse complaints
New Delhi: Delhi government has asked Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar to impart proper training to police personnel handling cases of sexual assault so that women do not shy away from filing complaints.
"I have written a letter to the Police Commissioner asking him to impart training to police personnel handling cases of sexual violence," Women and Child Welfare Minister Kiran Walia said.
She specifically asked the Police Commissioner to give proper training to each of the 185 nodal officers appointed to receive complaints of sexual harassment of women.
"The investigating officers handling rape victims cases need to be properly trained and sensitised for proper investigation," said Walia.
The communication comes in the wake of national outrage over the brutal gang-rape and assault on a 23-year-old paramedic student who died on Saturday at a Singapore hospital.
The Minister also sought the Police Commissioner`s intervention in addressing the grievances of counsellors of Crisis Intervention Centres who face difficulty coordinating with women cops over cases of sexual assault.
Several CICs in Delhi provide counselling and legal services to sexual assault victims.
Walia said the CIC counsellors told her that private vehicles sent by police don`t have lady constables, especially in relation to the fact that CIC counsellors are mostly female.
"The lady police officials are not available at night at various police stations so as to co-ordinate with CIC counsellors and handle the rape victims, specially child victims sensitively," she said in the letter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble