Delhi govt asks commissioner to train cops to handle sexual abuse complaints
New Delhi: Delhi government has asked Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar to impart proper training to police personnel handling cases of sexual assault so that women do not shy away from filing complaints.
"I have written a letter to the Police Commissioner asking him to impart training to police personnel handling cases of sexual violence," Women and Child Welfare Minister Kiran Walia said.
She specifically asked the Police Commissioner to give proper training to each of the 185 nodal officers appointed to receive complaints of sexual harassment of women.
"The investigating officers handling rape victims cases need to be properly trained and sensitised for proper investigation," said Walia.
The communication comes in the wake of national outrage over the brutal gang-rape and assault on a 23-year-old paramedic student who died on Saturday at a Singapore hospital.
The Minister also sought the Police Commissioner`s intervention in addressing the grievances of counsellors of Crisis Intervention Centres who face difficulty coordinating with women cops over cases of sexual assault.
Several CICs in Delhi provide counselling and legal services to sexual assault victims.
Walia said the CIC counsellors told her that private vehicles sent by police don`t have lady constables, especially in relation to the fact that CIC counsellors are mostly female.
"The lady police officials are not available at night at various police stations so as to co-ordinate with CIC counsellors and handle the rape victims, specially child victims sensitively," she said in the letter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title