Delhi govt cracks the whip on DTC
New Delhi: In a punitive action, Delhi
Transport corporation today sacked the driver of a bus which
crushed to death a woman and her granddaughter and suspended
three other employees including a senior official for
dereliction of duty.
A 56-year-old woman and her 13-year-old grand daughter
were killed yesterday when a speeding DTC bus, which was being
driven by Amar Singh. hit them from behind at Kamla market
Transport Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely ordered DTC to
take strict disciplinary action against drivers involved in
rash and negligent driving and told it that action against
senior officials will also follow if they fail to curb such
Lovely said the driver was reportedly drunk and that is
why action against manager of Indraprastha Bus depot V K
Gautam has been taken.
"We will not tolerate these types of indiscipline. I told
the DTC to caution all drivers against rash driving. Managers
of all DTC bus depots have been told to enforce strict
discipline among the staffers," he said.
According to official figure, number of fatal accidents
involving DTC buses in the current year is around 63.
A senior DTC official said the duty officer of
Indraprastha depot and a time keeper have also been suspended.
Lovely said DTC has been ordered to start a refresher
course for all drivers apart from carrying out a general
awareness campaign on safe driving.
The Minister held a meeting with all depot managers and
senior officials of DTC and told them to instill discipline
among drivers and other staff.
"We will take strict action against senior officers also
if they fail to perform their duties," said Lovely.
Following the direction by the Minister, DTC has decided
to launch a special campaign from tomorrow to supervise bus
operation across the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan