Delhi govt for fast track courts for rape cases
New Delhi: Delhi Government has sought
setting up of nine fast track designated courts exclusively to
take up rape cases in the city so as to ensure speedy justice
to the victims.
Women and Child Welfare Minister Kiran Walia, in a
letter to Chief Justice of Delhi High Court Justice Babulal
Chandulal Patel, urged him to set up one fast track court in
each of the nine districts to try the rape victims.
Giving an account of initiatives taken by her
department, Walia said 17 women protection officers have been
appointed to help victims of domestic violence.
The telephone numbers of these officials are put up in
public places and any victim can contact them for help.
Walia said her department has launched a campaign with
United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM) and leading
NGO Jagori to make the city safe for women.
"A draft framework has also been prepared to identify
the intervention required to enhance safety of the women," she
She said currently 22 `Work Centres` have been set up
in the city in various resettlement colonies to provide
vocational training to women.
"We have also set up two shelters for destitute
pregnant women in the city," she said.
The Minister said her department is also running nine
Crises Intervention Centres, which provide support to victims
of the rape.
She said 80 women panchayats have been formed all over
Delhi to resolve miscellaneous disputes related to women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack