New Delhi: Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia on Thursday said that the Aam Aadmi Party government has sent the file pertaining to appointment of Swati Maliwal as Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) chief to Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung.
After a meeting with LG Najeeb Jung, Sisodia said the government has sent the file relating to Maliwal's appointment to the LG for clearance but added it was done so to "stop the conspiracy to weaken the panel".
"Modi government made the DCW completely inactive. A new chief was appointed and attempts were being made to make a new beginning from a fresh perspective. But issue is being made out of a signature."
"Nameplate is being removed. But we don't consider this to be an issue. That is why we have given the file to the LG for his signature so that the conspiracy to weaken the panel can be stopped," Sisodia told reporters.
Sisodia's statement came after Maliwal, whose appointment as the DCW chief triggered a fresh confrontation between LG Najeeb Jung and the Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP government, today claimed that her office had been locked down but hours later it was found open though her nameplate was removed.
Maliwal also claimed that all files had been taken away from her office.
"Why my office has been locked and why my name plate and that of other members removed from the Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) office.... I will work for the cause of women and will make DCW the strongest in the world," the 30-year-old activist said this morning.
Later, her office at Vikas Sadan in ITO locality was found open but her name plate was removed.
When asked about the office being open contrary to her claims, she said her staff had gone to the office in the morning and found it locked.
"It could have been opened later may be due to media pressure or any other reason. But it was locked in the morning. Since we were told we cannot sign any files, in a way the Commission closed down," she told PTI.
Asked why she had not gone to the DCW office, "I am not a DCW poster girl who will only work if she gets the top post, I will continue to work the way I have been working."
Maliwal last night had claimed that Lt Governor Najeeb Jung's office had communicated to her office not to come to office from tomorrow and that all the files will be taken away.
As LG's office refuted her claim, Maliwal today tweeted "I have asked for an explanation from a senior officer whether a call was received from LG office or not? On whose directive the nameplates were removed?”
"On whose directive the office was locked and my staff was stopped from entering? The truth should come out."
Maliwal further said, "LG office has refuted that no call was received from LG office at DCW office. Why did DCW office tell a lie that a call was received from LG office?"
The 30-year-old DCW chief had yesterday posted a tweet claiming that LG had called her and conveyed that she should not come to office from today.
However, contrary to the claims made in the tweets, she had later said it was the "LG's secretariat and not Jung" which communicated to her office that she should not continue in the post.
Jung's office had vehemently denied her claims, saying the LG was upset over such baseless allegations.
(With PTI inputs)