Delhi govt "insensitive" to women: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday accused the city government of being "insensitive" after a former employee of a Delhi University college, who had set herself on fire outside Delhi Secretariat a week ago after alleging sexual harassment by a college principal, succumbed to her injuries.
"It is shocking that the victim immolated herself in front of the Chief Minister`s office. It is deplorable that no minister or the Chief Minister even cared to visit her," Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel and the party`s National Secretary Arti Mehra said.
The BJP leaders charged the incident reflected "insensitivity" of Delhi government towards the former lab assistant of the Bhim Rao Ambedkar College in Yamuna Vihar.
"There is no effective mechanism for redressal of cases of sexual harassment faced by women in Delhi despite the tall claims made by both the city government and the Centre. Women continue to be vulnerable under the present regime," they alleged.
Former Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta also alleged the incident "showed" lack of concern of her government towards victims of sexual harassment.
Police had recovered a purported suicide note from the spot in which she had said that she was taking the extreme step to protest alleged physical and mental harassment by principal GK Arora and another staff of Bhim Rao Ambedkar College, Yamuna Vihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price