Delhi govt, police have lost people`s trust: Kiran Bedi
New Delhi: In the wake of the brutal rape of a five-year-old girl here, Kiran Bedi, country`s first woman IPS officer and social activist, on Sunday demanded a change in the leadership in Delhi government and police saying they have lost trust of the people in the city.
She said the Lieutenant Governor Tejinder Khanna, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Chief Secretary DP Spolia and Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar should be changed as they were collectively accountable for the city.
"Delhi needs a whole-change of team! LG, CM, CS, CP! All Four! Not one (CP) but all Four! They are collectively accountable for the city!" Bedi said on micro-blogging website `Twitter`.
"When city management loses trust, it is a collective failure of CM (political), CS (Bureaucracy), CP/DGP (ADM + Police) In Delhi it`s LG...Delhi City is in the hands of LG, CM, CS, CP. All four have resources. City management fails when `Big Four` do not work in alignment!" she said.
Bedi, who quit IPS after being overlooked for the post of Delhi Police Commissioner, said the city police lost trust of the people over years of "statistical and opaque policing".
"It got away then, but no more! They must change," she said. Expressing deep concern about the "next case of sexual assault, Bedi said she was wondering what is happening inside Delhi Police and how the force is coping with the onslaught on them by public during protests.
"How are lakhs of police personnel coping with public anger? They cannot speak openly. What must be urgently done to remedy? By whom?" Bedi said.
She said "prevention of sexual crimes need a social revolution, just as evil of Sati was fought! Hence involves all," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31