Delhi govt preparing DPR for expansion of Barapullah road
New Delhi: Notwithstanding the ongoing
probe by CVC and CBI into alleged irregularities in
construction of Barapullah elevated road, Delhi Government is
in the process of finalising the expansion of the stretch to
The Public Works Department is currently giving final
touches to the detailed project report (DPR) which is likely
to be placed before the Cabinet soon for final approval.
The extension of the elevated road between Sarai Kale
Khan and Lodhi Colony near Jawaharlal Nehru stadium up to INA
market will provide direct connectivity to commuters from East
Delhi to AIIMS and adjoining areas in South and Central Delhi.
"We are preparing a project report for the second
phase expansion of the elevated road. The report will then be
placed before the cabinet," a top Government official told
The four-km-long corridor, the first such stretch in
the city was constructed at a cost of over Rs 550 crore to
ferry athletes and CWG officials between the Games Village and
Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium during the Commonwealth Games in
October last year.
The official said strengthening transport
infrastructure is a priority area for the government and
expansion of the elevated road will go ahead despite
controversies surrounding the construction of the stretch.
The CBI last month had registered a case against some
officials of the Public Works Department (PWD) and a few firms
in connection with alleged bunglings in the project.
The CBI alleged that the contractor and PWD officials
had inflated the cost of the project. The construction of the
road had came in for sharp criticism from the Prime Minister-
appointed Shunglu committee which had criticised the Delhi
government for alleged irregularities in the project.
The Shunglu Committee even questioned the very need
for the elevated road, which was a key CWG project.
The Chief Technical Examination (CTE) wing of the
Central Vigilance Commission in its latest report has also
mentioned about deficiencies in the project as well as
questioned the quality of construction material used in the
PWD officials said under third phase expansion, the
road will be extended from Sarai Kale Khan to UP Link road to
privide a direct link between Noida and adjoining areas to
Central and South Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’