Delhi govt seeks 3-fold hike in salaries of of MLAs, ministers
New Delhi: Delhi Government on Wednesday approved a
proposal seeking hike in salaries of MLAs and Ministers by
upto 300 per cent, citing inflation and increased cost of
living in the Capital, three months after the Centre rejected
a similar request.
A meeting of the Delhi Cabinet presided by Chief Minister
Sheila Dikshit cleared the proposal which will now be sent to
Union Home Ministry for approval.
As per the proposal, an MLA who currently gets nearly Rs
32,000 monthly, including all incentives, will get around Rs
one lakh while the monthly emolument of a minister will go
upto Rs 1,20,000 from current Rs 43,000 a month.
"We have cleared the proposal. We will now be sending it
to the Centre for approval," Dikshit said after the Cabinet
The move comes three months after the Union Home
Ministry rejected a similar proposal on the grounds that perks
and privileges not even granted to MPs were sought by the
Delhi government for its legislators.
Officials said if approved by the Centre, the enhanced
salary will put an additional burden of Rs 16.21 crore on the
In the revised proposal, the government has dropped
the demands for petrol allocation to the legislators and for
giving interest-free car loans.
The Centre in November last year had rejected the
proposal seeking a hike of up to 200 per cent in the monthly
salary of MLAs and around 300 per cent increase in the
salaries drawn by ministers.
The proposal also seeks 2,000 units of free power for
legislators per month, while it has fixed 10,000 kilolitres of
water free of charge per month for them.
The government has also sought 20 free trips each
through air and rail per year for a legislator to and fro
Delhi to anywhere in the country along with a close family
member or an official.
Earlier, the Home Ministry had said that as salary of
legislators are revised after every five years, so any hike of
salary of Delhi legislators could only be considered in 2012
as their salary was hiked in 2007.
The official said the proposal has been prepared as
inflation has gone up substantially and all the government
officials were given hefty hike in the salaries following the
Sixth Pay Commission report.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed