Delhi govt should accord state funeral to rape victim: Patel
New Delhi: Hailing her as a braveheart, Union Minister Praful Patel today said the Delhi government should accord the 23-year-old gangrape victim a state funeral as a mark of respect to women of the country.
"Saddened by the loss of a braveheart. Delhi government should accord her a state funeral as a mark of respect to her and to India`s womanhood," Patel, who is also NCP Vice-President, said in a condolence message.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said "our thoughts and hearts are with the family of the braveheart who left us. This is a time for mourning. We appeal to all our brothers and sisters to maintain peace and calm and pray."
"This would be a true tribute to the bravery and fortitude of the departed soul," Tewari added.
The girl, who was gang-raped by six men in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16, breathed her last in a Singapore hospital early this morning after battling for life for the past 13 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef