Delhi govt should accord state funeral to rape victim: Patel
New Delhi: Hailing her as a braveheart, Union Minister Praful Patel today said the Delhi government should accord the 23-year-old gangrape victim a state funeral as a mark of respect to women of the country.
"Saddened by the loss of a braveheart. Delhi government should accord her a state funeral as a mark of respect to her and to India`s womanhood," Patel, who is also NCP Vice-President, said in a condolence message.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said "our thoughts and hearts are with the family of the braveheart who left us. This is a time for mourning. We appeal to all our brothers and sisters to maintain peace and calm and pray."
"This would be a true tribute to the bravery and fortitude of the departed soul," Tewari added.
The girl, who was gang-raped by six men in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16, breathed her last in a Singapore hospital early this morning after battling for life for the past 13 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM