Delhi govt should accord state funeral to rape victim: Patel
New Delhi: Hailing her as a braveheart, Union Minister Praful Patel today said the Delhi government should accord the 23-year-old gangrape victim a state funeral as a mark of respect to women of the country.
"Saddened by the loss of a braveheart. Delhi government should accord her a state funeral as a mark of respect to her and to India`s womanhood," Patel, who is also NCP Vice-President, said in a condolence message.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said "our thoughts and hearts are with the family of the braveheart who left us. This is a time for mourning. We appeal to all our brothers and sisters to maintain peace and calm and pray."
"This would be a true tribute to the bravery and fortitude of the departed soul," Tewari added.
The girl, who was gang-raped by six men in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16, breathed her last in a Singapore hospital early this morning after battling for life for the past 13 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!